Find the answer to your Linux question:
finally underway on a project that has been on my mind for years now. mounting a loptop under the backseat of my truck. I am using an itronix gobook 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

in vehicle laptop

finally underway on a project that has been on my mind for years now. mounting a loptop under the backseat of my truck. I am using an itronix gobook 3 and the vehicle cradle hard mounted to the floorboard of my truck. the next step is to get the proper usb relay card to work in linux but also plug and play with centrafuse. It will take a while to get the slackware configured just right, so in the mean time i might have to use crappy windows xp for a while. a touchscreen will replace the head unit and I would like to use compiz, configured for touchscreen use. I have a dual (automotive) battery set up so the laptop will have its own battery to draw off of, when the vehicle is off i will have slack drop the shell and when i turn on the ignition slackware will run "startx" and bam! instant boot. Its still early in the build, i dont have a relay board or 12v touchscreen yet, but the gobook 3 has a touchscreen that dosent work in any distro. So by the time i get the laptops touchscreen to work i shouldn't have any trouble configuring the 12v touchscreen that comes in the mail. now that its winter, i will be doing more development (teaching myself development) than outside work on my truck. Any advice, suggestions would be nice. This is also my first post to the linux forums, I am proud to join the comminuty. Long time linux user, first time caller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux User
    Welcome.

Sounds like a neat project. Touchscreen mounted on the dash? I'd make a way to hide it when you're parked. It'll attract attention from the wrong people if you know what I mean.

What'll you use it for? Besides just being plain cool, of course.

Have you heard of the Arduino nano? Nice little USB device. Very flexible and adaptable.

Howdy and Welcome.

I have a old Amrel Toughbook kinda like your Itronix. My touchscreen one though, semi-died in a flood (not totally dead, screen still works. Some keys on keyboard,soundcard,mousepad are broke though.). I might try switching screens though later just in case I can upgrade the screen to passive touchscreen also. Before it died getting wet, I had the touchscreen working in AntiX on it.

Code:
    $ apt-cache search evdev 
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev - X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev - X.Org X server -- evdev input driver (development headers)
    libgii1 - General Input Interface runtime libraries
    xserver-xorg-input-evtouch - Touchscreen-Driver for X.Org/XFree86 server
    Disclaimer: evdev may not work on your touchscreen. My touchscreen was a passive one that came stock with the notebook. Panasonic Cf-29 toughbooks use the same driver and screen as the Amrel. I don't know if stock Itronix screen is passive or not type of touch screen since you say.

but the gobook 3 has a touchscreen that dosent work in any distro

Makes a good media player when not connected to the net. I have spare caddies and drives for media on it and it can run 2 ide hard drives, one slapped into the cdrom bay. Cdrom bay also
    takes a external slap in extra battery caddie also that I have.

Picture has conky showing both batteries plugged in (running on battery, no a/c adapter plugged in- LXDE in AntiX) and running wireless. I used to pack it in my motorcycle saddle bags but my eeepc net-books have been substituted for that.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    still working on this project. learning how to code c++ and working with bash. Two questions.. I know lsusb will show me usb devices, what other commands will show me hardware like the touchscreen and is there a -e or something to translate the information to english. The giant linux book i have doesn't touch hardware topics. I am trying to activate my wifi card using vim editing the rc.wireless.conf file, the information it wants has a different name than the info shown when i run the iwconf command. that was one question the other is (trying to avoid run-ons) My first slack build was on an old piii laptop with 256mb of ram, i assumed it was because of ancient technology but this gobook has a centrino and 1g of ram, still while logged into bash the comp makes a crackling sound. Thats the question. anyone else, crackling sound?

Just Joined!
    I just wrote a long summery of my progress but clicked "post to thread" and my summery was blanked over with a new reply window So in short; I switched to vector linux and it is awesome. First time posting from my gobook because the wifi worked almost out of the box. I still have my slackware command line boot up but now I have three or for qui's full of tools to access. Life is great. Also I decided "arduino" would be more than enough. I was kicking around between a dedicated relay board and arduino until I searched arduino on Ebay and saw all the shields, breakout boards and relays available for it, then I knew I wouldn't go wrong with arduino. Complaining to my nephew about how "Radio Shack" went from a hobby store to a cell phone store while walking through the front door I saw an isle with Arduino and many different shields for the same price as ebay. I had 0$ in my pocket but I know where it is and I don't have to wait 2 weeks for shipping when I am ready to buy it. All my $$ has been thrown at this truck, It is now in many pieces and I want to change all the gaskets and seals before putting it back together. While it sits I am building a custom 4-link suspension system for adjustable air suspension. I am thinking accelerometers in all four corners of the chassis and each air spring controlled independently by arduino. Can you say "Corners like it is on rails"? I will keep the updates coming, feel free to express and ideas or criticisms.

Just Joined!
    So again, having trouble with the forums. I logged in, clicked forums, clicked hardware, found my thread, clicked reply to thread. Wrote up summery of progress, asked the community if anyone had experience configuring two separate user interfaces on two different displays. Thanked the linux community for being who we are. Clicked "Post Quick Reply" and got error message. "You do not have permission to post to thread, please refresh browser and log in". Did that and my post I was writing went away.

Quote Originally Posted by rossrogue View Post
    So again, having trouble with the forums. I logged in, clicked forums, clicked hardware, found my thread, clicked reply to thread. Wrote up summery of progress, asked the community if anyone had experience configuring two separate user interfaces on two different displays. Thanked the linux community for being who we are. Clicked "Post Quick Reply" and got error message. "You do not have permission to post to thread, please refresh browser and log in". Did that and my post I was writing went away.
    Click the "Remember me" button upon login and it shouldn't happen anymore.
    Also, since this isn't actually a request for help, I'm moving this thread to the coffee lounge.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Got the arduino board and haven't had time to play with it. As many circuit board as I have shorted playing around I want to make sure I have a good understanding of what I am doing. That is it, still building the truck and working. More to come, when I am done I want to have a custom ui and the ability to change settings like tow, go, and save fuel mode. anyone do any engine programming?

. I know lsusb will show me usb devices, what other commands will show me hardware like the touchscreen and is there a -e or something to translate the information to english.
    Look into running inxi in Vector Linux, (I run it also on one of the hot swap hard drives I posted about in my previous post earlier in this thread).

inxi -h will show variables you can use to change info readouts.

Code:
    $ inxi -G
    Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] 
               X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
    As you can see. I am not on the Amrel Laptop right now. As Far as engine programming. Funny that you ask. Look at my signature.
    Trucks and cars though. Not so much. This is the only thing/cage I tweak and it is mine.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home