Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

2012: What a Year for Linux

I'm sure many of you got this in your inbox, but many visitors to our forum may not know about it. It is a short (2:38) video by the Linux Foundation. No ground-breaking news in it, or footage of berserk giant penguins trashing Redmond, just artfully spliced together headlines and stories we all know very well by now. I encourage watching it though, gave me a warm fuzzy, it did. Here's the email and link to the video:

It's been an amazing year for Linux. Linus Torvalds was recognized with one of the highest honors in technology, the Millennium Technology Prize. The Linux Foundation launched CloudOpen to a sold out crowd. Red Hat achieved its $1B milestone. Android outpaced all other platforms on smartphones and made its way into tablets and other form factors.

Please join us in celebrating an inspiring year for Linux by watching and sharing our "What a Year for Linux" video. It is people like you who are helping to support the work of Linux creator Linus Torvalds and other important programs that advance Linux.

Happy Holidays from The Linux Foundation

LinuxFoundation_logo.jpg

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Indeed, and thanks for the link atreyu! I've been a member of the Linux Foundation for a number of years, and was invited a couple of years ago to the Linux Collaboration Summit in SF by them. A great organization, and they get a check from AMEX (that I pay for) every month! One of my better investments I think - I help pay Linus' salary...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    That's an amazing video. Let's make 2013 an even better year for Linux!!! We will be getting steam soon, which is a huge thing. Asleep android will soon be passing apple in terms of tablets now. I know that this is going to be a good year for linux too.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtisCoburn View Post
    That's an amazing video. Let's make 2013 an even better year for Linux!!! We will be getting steam soon, which is a huge thing. Asleep android will soon be passing apple in terms of tablets now. I know that this is going to be a good year for linux too.
    You can install steam now on linux.

Hey, thanks for that. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling too. I had a smile on my face the whole time. And it gives me something to show people when they call me crazy for not just using windows.

forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacopag View Post
    it gives me something to show people when they call me crazy for not just using windows.
    Unfortunately, far too many people these days have sheep tendencies and are more than willing to simply follow the herd...
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Unfortunately, far too many people these days have sheep tendencies and are more than willing to simply follow the herd...
    All the while, asking for help from the black sheep when things go south.

I think this has been the "Decade of Linux" vs the "Year of Linux" the latter of which many think never happens. year after year. I think it's happening every day.
    Cool Video.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    All the while, asking for help from the black sheep when things go south.
    amen to that, brother.

Thanks Atreyu,

Power of Human Knowledge for Humanity. This is the future