Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am 16 and am on holiday i have a basic knowledge of java and am decent with Linux , I can just about install arch and use the command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux tips anyone

I am 16 and am on holiday i have a basic knowledge of java and am decent with Linux , I can just about install arch and use the command line decently , I want to improve my linux skills over these holidays , I would like a good networking project or linux task to improve myself , I would also like to know if there any good books I can read and i was looking at getting myself a Raspberry Pi. Thanks , I would like to eventually become a very good administrator

Linux Engineer
    Here's a project that should be possible for a beginner, but challenging never the less:

Install debian with a gui.

Install apache and configure as follows (all from the command line):
    One website on www.mysite.com and a second website on www2.mysite.com
    The first website should be Wordpress. The second website should be a static html file that says "hello!"

After installing all the necessary software, go back to your gui, and open up a web browser. Make system changes that allow access to your sites using the domain names I listed about. Hint, you won't be using DNS like if you were to type Google or whatever else.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Download the Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install cd and install it from command line with no DE / GUI. (This will install pretty much only the kernel, drivers, ubuntu core, bash, sudo, apt, dpkg and aptitude.) Boot to a shell prompt and install a minimal DE / GUI with the "--no-install-recommends" flag in apt. Install firefox and secure it with addons and tweaks (Google). Install a text editor, network manager and synaptic. Upgrade the kernel to the the 12.10 kernel released for 12.04 from the repos (Google directions and make sure to remove the old kernel after you've verified the new one is working properly). Secure the system with ArpON, portsentry, tcpd, apparmor / apparmor profiles / apparmor utils and the "regular" ubuntu security tweaks like stopping dnsmasq from resolving DNS (Google). Then start building your own fully fleshed out Ubuntu remix from there. When you're finished use remastersys to extract an installable copy and hand it out to the kids at school and show them what a real OS should look like and can do.

LFS can keep your grey matter occupied for the duration of the season. I think.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    <unix the text book> is a good one ,
    tips for freshers:
    you can try to install linux in vm if it is failed to install in real pc,
    install all programs in DVD can save a lot of time for you (if your pc is not bad)
    network can be setup in GUI,and rp-pppoe is a good command line tool if you are familiar with shell commands

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Download the Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install cd and install it from command line with no DE / GUI. (This will install pretty much only the kernel, drivers, ubuntu core, bash, sudo, apt, dpkg and aptitude.) Boot to a shell prompt and install a minimal DE / GUI with the "--no-install-recommends" flag in apt. Install firefox and secure it with addons and tweaks (Google). Install a text editor, network manager and synaptic. Upgrade the kernel to the the 12.10 kernel released for 12.04 from the repos (Google directions and make sure to remove the old kernel after you've verified the new one is working properly). Secure the system with ArpON, portsentry, tcpd, apparmor / apparmor profiles / apparmor utils and the "regular" ubuntu security tweaks like stopping dnsmasq from resolving DNS (Google). Then start building your own fully fleshed out Ubuntu remix from there. When you're finished use remastersys to extract an installable copy and hand it out to the kids at school and show them what a real OS should look like and can do.
    really cool!