Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys! My old laptop's motherboard is done for and I am now contemplating on getting a new unit. I saw a lenovo cpu (i5, 1TB HD) and I think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CPU or Laptop?

Hello guys!

My old laptop's motherboard is done for and I am now contemplating on getting a new unit.

I saw a lenovo cpu (i5, 1TB HD) and I think I can use my flat screen TV as monitor. I don't have to bring it around anyway since I have an android tab with me. My concern though is power consumption and durability.

On the other hand, I am also thinking of just getting another laptop.

Any thoughts?

thanks & regards...

nujinini
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

oz
    forum.guy
    All the marketing folks would have us believe that desktops are dying out and they probably are slowing down a bit, but I don't believe they will come to a full halt anytime soon. I'm personally not a fan of mobile devices but have several, including a laptop, that I never take anywhere. When I get a chance to free myself from computers, that's exactly what I want, and do take advantage of the situation. If you are a fan of mobile devices, the laptop might be a better route for you. Just my personal thoughts on it...
    oz

My personal opinion is that Lenovo builds great stuff. Over the years I have had fewer problems with *used* Lenovos than I've had with *new* Dells. And an i5 mobile will pretty much make any *nix distro you put on it run like a screaming banshee. You don't say how much RAM it has though. My general rule of thumb is that I like to have at least one GB per thread. So, if it's a dual core hyperthreaded to 4 threads I like 4GB RAM. You could probably get by with less. But I like to run lots of type 2 hypervisors (VMs) at the same time. BTW, I have a used Lenovo with an i3m 2GHz dual core hyperthreaded to 4, 3GB RAM and a 600GB /5400RPM HD that is running a custom XFCE/ubuntu 12.04 remix that I built myself. After boot, at idle state, I still have 98% of CPU resources and 2.5GB RAM to play with. That is a lot of resources to cook up a lot of fun stuff!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Provided that your tablet does what you need it to do on the go, I don't see a need for a lappy.
    Mobile devices are nice to have, but having one that handles your mobile tasks sorta cancels the need for multiple units.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

A desktop is generally more customizable and easier to swap components in, but a laptop is more portable and takes up less space. Which is best for you depends on what your needs and computing habits are. If you think you may want to add a different graphics card, a TV tuner, or other items, a desktop is best. If being able to stow your computer away or take it with you when you go out of the house, then the laptop would be better. Like which distro is best questions, only you can say what computer is best for your situation and taste. Good luck with the search.
    Registered Linux user #526930

If you are going the desktop way I would built it yourself. that way you get what you want and not what they give you. and upgrading isn't going to cost you an arm or leg. I built my tower and bought all parts from NewEgg.

I bought a laptop also that is ASUS and I love it.

All systems are i7 with 8GB ram. I guess the real question is what do you want and what can you afford.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Thank you for contributing your thoughts guys. Now I can't tell if those advises added more to my confusion. Hahaha

Anyways, I haven't decided yet but I am really trying to get myself a new computer on or before christmas. My gift to myself .

Things to consider too aside from specs are of course price and terms of payments since I can only afford to get a new unit on a 12-month deferred payment scheme.

My old lenovo was my first laptop and I bought it one month before I joined this forums. I cannot count anymore the abuse it received from me as I tried to learn linux.

I salute you Lenovo G430. Rest in Pieces for you did not die in vain! ;P
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667