Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Good link, oz. My 2 bits: The demonstrator has a huge sreen, so he sits on 1 view and toggles tags. Excellent when you have the screen real-estate to spare. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Good link, oz.

My 2 bits:

The demonstrator has a huge sreen, so he sits on 1 view and toggles tags. Excellent when you have the screen real-estate to spare. That is exactly what tiling wms are about, and of course, multiple monitors.

I, however, have a 15.4" LCD screen, and only one of them. My eyesight is also not so good as I age. So I shift views all the time (with ALT-left and ALT-right), keep things maximized, and have tags that I don't mess with too much once I have things set up.

dwm rocks, even for me. It makes the best use of screen real-estate, one way or another.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    The demonstrator has a huge sreen, so he sits on 1 view and toggles tags. Excellent when you have the screen real-estate to spare. That is exactly what tiling wms are about, and of course, multiple monitors.
    I have a huge monitor too, so when that first window opens up on any screen, I see what I dislike most about tilers... a huge maximized window with not all that much on it in some cases. I'm always anxious to get a second window opened so that the screen is split by two not-so-big windows. I'm fine from that point on, and no longer bothered by the WM moving windows around automatically, and resizing them in the process.

It finally dawned on me that becoming comfortable with that makes more sense than me having to always manually move those windows around, and trying to line them up so that I could see all of each window. I've been thinking about setting several screens to automatically open with at least two opened windows upon logging into X, which should make things even easier.
    Last edited by oz; 01-30-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spell
    oz

I've been playing about with the new version. I've solved the "ugliness" problem; it was due to the lack of window frames. I have now increased the border to 10 pixels, with the selected one in red and the others in cyan and it looks much nicer.

@Miven: two suggestions.
    1) You should put a couple of include lines in config.mk for the XFt headers and libraries. These are the ones I had to put in to make it build:
    Code:
    XFTINC = /usr/include/X11
    FTINC = /usr/include/freetype2
    XFTLIB = /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu 

INCS = -I. -I/usr/include -I${X11INC} -I${FTINC} -I${XFTINC}
    LIBS = -L/usr/lib -lc -L${X11LIB} -lX11 -L${XFTLIB} -lXft
    The freetype path is necessary (on my system at least) because one of the XFt headers references it.

2) It might be a good idea to put all the debug printouts between #IFDEFINED DEBUG and #ENDIF tags, so that ordinary users don't get their .xsession-errors files clogged up.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I've been playing about with the new version. I've solved the "ugliness" problem; it was due to the lack of window frames. I have now increased the border to 10 pixels, with the selected one in red and the others in cyan and it looks much nicer.
    I went with 2 pixels borders, selected cyan and others in grey. My wife likes red too, she says she remembers things better when she writes in red.
    @Miven: two suggestions.
    1) You should put a couple of include lines in config.mk for the XFt headers and libraries. These are the ones I had to put in to make it build:
    Code:
    XFTINC = /usr/include/X11
    FTINC = /usr/include/freetype2
    XFTLIB = /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu 

INCS = -I. -I/usr/include -I${X11INC} -I${FTINC} -I${XFTINC}
    LIBS = -L/usr/lib -lc -L${X11LIB} -lX11 -L${XFTLIB} -lXft
    The freetype path is necessary (on my system at least) because one of the XFt headers references it.
    Excellent hack. I didn't need it. I guess my setup includes those dirs. I don't have /usr/include/X11, I have /usr/X11R6/include, ditto for FT and XFT.

2) It might be a good idea to put all the debug printouts between #IFDEFINED DEBUG and #ENDIF tags, so that ordinary users don't get their .xsession-errors files clogged up.
    .xsession-errors?

Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis?

Oh, I get it. All my dumb fprintf's. Yeah, they dump to debug console. I start my xsession with xterm -C which captures all of that. For you they go in logfile? Hmm... I thought I commented them all out. Apologies. Most of it is useless cruft, they were useful while things were in progress. I've almost always got a project spewing stuff to stderr.

Hey, while you're in the crawlspace hacking about, feel free to sweep the fprintfs into the dustbin.

And thank you very much for looking at the code and giving your critique.

Peace and Cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Excellent hack. I didn't need it. I guess my setup includes those dirs. I don't have /usr/include/X11, I have /usr/X11R6/include, ditto for FT and XFT.
    These things go in all sorts of places. I have the impression that /usr/X11R6 isn't used by more modern distros. The point is that the README tells users to go through config.mk and check if all the paths are OK, so if you have entries there, it alerts the user to the fact that he might need to check and modify them. If they aren't there, the first he knows is when he gets a build error.

I like decent-size frames on my windows. Call me old fashioned!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I like decent-size frames on my windows. Call me old fashioned!
    I'm not exactly what I'd call modern in my way of thinking, but I am the opposite of your comment above and prefer very minimal window borders. I set them all to a width of 1 pixel with the active window border usually being dark-orange in color.

@ all

For those readers that might be very much into dwm hacking and don't already know about it, there is a nice dwm hacks and patches thread that can be found here. Hopefully you'll find something in it that you can use, or you might want to post your hacks for others to use.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    I've still been playing around with fonts, and have decided to stick with a bitmap font for my own WM statusbars. Terminus is good of course, but the one that I've come across that really suits my fancy is Tamsyn:

Tamsyn - Monospaced Font for Linux

All the characters come out crisp, they are easy to read and distinguish, and it looks great to me. I'm considering putting it on my console and terminal apps as well. Another similar bitmap font that I was highly considering and still might use is Dina.
    oz

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    ... but the one that I've come across that really suits my fancy is Tamsyn:

Tamsyn - Monospaced Font for Linux
    Indeed. Very nice font. Thank you for that link.

So while I was removing the debug printfs from dwm-6, I also got rid of two unused variables and tried to do something about the deprecated XKeycodeToKeysym function. According to what I read here the following code should work:
    Code:
    //keysym = XKeycodeToKeysym(dpy, (KeyCode) ev->keycode, 0);
    {
    int keysyms_per_keycode_return;
    keysym = (KeySym)XGetKeyboardMapping(dpy, (KeyCode) ev->keycode, 0, &keysyms_per_keycode_return);
    }
    but it doesn't; it just kills my key mappings.

That will teach me not to try and hack code I don't understand!

oz
    forum.guy
    Something interesting about monster-wm that I like is that the borders of adjacent windows overlap where they meet each other causing a single line rather than drawing two separate lines of pixels where they meet. It has a certain neatness about it, and with my orange border that shows the active window, it works out well. I suppose there are patches or settings that allow the other tilers to do the same, but this is something that monster does by default, and it is immediately noticeable each time that I log into it. I consider this a nice feature, but it's probably not something everyone would care for.
    oz

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast