Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a linux/Unix culture question about removable media. As standard form do linux users put removable media (Floppies, Zips, Tapes, CD/DVD/BluRays) into the fstab to automatically mount as the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Customs for automatically mounting removable media along with HDD/SSD

I have a linux/Unix culture question about removable media. As standard form do linux users put removable media (Floppies, Zips, Tapes, CD/DVD/BluRays) into the fstab to automatically mount as the system initializes or only as needed.

Just to be clear I am not asking if you can mount at system startup i am asking why would(not)/do (not) individuals do so and what is the customs inherited from Unix?

Trusted Penguin
    Early on w/Linux, I got into the habit of putting removable media entries in my fstab, with the noauto option set, so I could quickly mount them when I needed them, but not at boot time. If you had them set to automount at boot-up, you'd risk your system getting its panties in a bunch and pausing the boot process when the system fails to mount a floppy or a CD b/c no media is inserted.

nowadays i hardly touch fstab (for the purposes of removable media) b/c udev et al take care of all that for me. if i do want to control mounting (whether forcing a device to automount, or forcing it to only mount manually), again, it is udev rules to the rescue.