Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So far I have installed the system and compiles Xorg, xwm, xfce and Firefox and that's it. Thunderbird is taking a long time to compile and then I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Posting from FreeBSD

So far I have installed the system and compiles Xorg, xwm, xfce and Firefox and that's it. Thunderbird is taking a long time to compile and then I want to get Thunar to open directories over ssh.

Oh and Libreoffice and then...

Compiling from the ports tree so far has been trouble free and simpler even than compiling under Linux. I'll probably do a binary install if I re-install as compiling takes way too long.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Which release did you wind up installing, elija? I read a while back that 9.1 was moving away from RC status and was about to be released just any day, but something must be preventing it from happening.

I know what you mean regarding those long compile times, and have not been spending as much time playing with my FreeBSD, Crux, or Gentoo boxes for that reason. The installs all went fine, and I do enjoy using each distribution, but anytime that a single compile takes more than about 15 minutes, my patience goes flying out the window unless I wonder off and do something else. I know that binary packages are available rather than having to to compile from source, but most other distributions already offer binaries. The benefits derived from source compiles are the only reason I've been looking at the other distributions.

Hope you will enjoy your new system!
    Last edited by oz; 12-24-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    oz

9.0. It's only an experiment at the moment and 9.1 is still an upcoming release so I',m not too worried about breaking it by playing. I have learned that source based distros won't be for me as I lack the patience to the point I'm thinking of starting again with FreeBSD and this time binary!

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Cool Elija I'll take a shortcut , instead of installing Desktop over FreeBSD, I'm planning to go with What is PC-BSD?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I considered PC-BSD but went for FreeBSD as anything else in the BSD family should be a walk in the park if I can get running I may still give PC-BSD a go as I am very much in the experimentation phase; at the very least it would allow me to compare the two and make my mind up which I prefer.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I have learned that source based distros won't be for me as I lack the patience to the point I'm thinking of starting again with FreeBSD and this time binary!
    i lacked the patience to even consider packages vs ports and went straight for binary when I installed. seems like my impatient fears have been confirmed...yet, for that I do not have the most tailor-made BSD...

Well, I didn't get to see the family over Christmas so I took the opportunity to geek out a bit.

I have now tried a few BSD installs.

FreeBSD from source
    Customised and fast running but I find I lack the patience for the compile times

FreeBSD using binaries
    Much quicker to install and no real problems encountered and if PC-BSD (as recommended by Lakshmipathi) wasn't around, I could use it quite happily!

PC-BSD
    This is good. A very simple install, and nice package management. If you can handle a Linux distro then this will be a cinch. The only slight downsides are that the software isn't always bang up to date but then again BSD goes for stability and that the packages are HUGE because they include all required libraries. This isn't a problem unless you have limited monthly bandwidth and then only during the initial installation.

I was so impressed with PC-BSD on my test rig that I decided to blow away my main desktop and give it a real go. The only thing I am missing? Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup particularly in the sdl tiles incarnation.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the report, elija!

It's been about six years since I last installed PC-BSD but I might install it and play with it a bit this coming weekend. I still very much like Free-BSD, but find it cumbersome at times to work with. More than likely, I'll be sticking with Arch, but it never hurts to have a little experience with other operating systems and distributions.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The only thing I am missing? Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup particularly in the sdl tiles incarnation.
    Very cool looking, might have to check that one out. It reminds me of Ultima III, which I still play from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by oz
    it never hurts to have a little experience with other operating systems and distributions.
    So true, so true. In fact, I think I keep Windows running solely to augment my familial IT support role.

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    More than likely, I'll be sticking with Arch, but it never hurts to have a little experience with other operating systems and distributions.
    I've not found my one yet - either operating system or girlfriend still maybe this time I've found one of those

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Very cool looking, might have to check that one out. It reminds me of Ultima III, which I still play from time to time.
    Well it's being nice knowing you! I'll warn you of frustration and addiction in nearly equal measure. It's the only game that has genuinely made me scream "GAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast