Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys, I've always gone for lighter colored desktop themes in the past, but have been toying around with darker themes recently and am starting to like them. What about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

desktop themes: dark vs light

Hey guys, I've always gone for lighter colored desktop themes in the past, but have been toying around with darker themes recently and am starting to like them.

What about the rest of you? Are you generally a dark theme user or do you prefer lighter colored desktop themes, and why do you prefer one over the other? If you prefer something that's somewhere in the middle, that's understandable, too.

Just curious about what the majority of you prefer and why, so thanks for any comments about your own preference!

Edit: oh, and please use the official screenshots thread for the posting of any actual screenshots instead of posting them here... thanks!
    oz

Just Joined!
    I go for light themes on my laptop. It's easier to see through glare, and on an LCD, light colors use less power.

My fav is Black Glass in Fluxbox Oz.

In Icewm I make my own customized dark themes.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by aomimezura View Post
    I go for light themes on my laptop. It's easier to see through glare, and on an LCD, light colors use less power.
    I initially used light themes due to the vision issues you describe, but now it's seeming that the dark themes are working out better for my own eyes, although it's possible that my eyesight has been changing over the years,

On the power usage issue, I've heard the argument go both ways but don't really know for sure. There was some testing done a while back by PCStats.com and according to their published tests, black uses less power whether on CRT or LCD displays, although there is less of a difference on LCDs:

Blackle vs. Google Monitor Power Consumption Tested - PCSTATS.com

Even with their testing, I suspect there might be other factors to be considered.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    My fav is Black Glass in Fluxbox Oz.

In Icewm I make my own customized dark themes.
    Both of those look great, rokytnji!

Just curious, do you use light colored wallpapers behind those, or dark? I'm curious to see if most users go for an overall dark layout, or a lighter layout. I probably should have done a poll regarding this matter but was too lazy to set it up...
    oz

I always opt for light colored themes. I seem to see them better. A dark theme is hard for me to read, and the older I get the more help I need.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    both are good ,but I prefer darker one , because it looks so quiet and silent , and not dazzling

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Both of those look great, rokytnji!

Just curious, do you use light colored wallpapers behind those, or dark? I'm curious to see if most users go for an overall dark layout, or a lighter layout. I probably should have done a poll regarding this matter but was too lazy to set it up...

I use both Light and Dark colored Wallpapers. My only criteria is that they are motorcycle or babe themes, (though I have been known to vary from that occasionally) . Here is a wild colored Fluxbox (slit gone, lxpanel instead) I run on one of my motorcycle shop Desktops. It is for the customers to play with while in the shop and a media center also. antiX-forum - View topic - AntiX 11

Most of my customers are young bucks and are attracted by bling. So I keep certain gear kinda tricky dicky looking for them to peak their interest into saying , "what the heck is that?"
    I like color I guess because down south here. The custom is to paint ones house a bright color to keep evil spirits out, (old hispanic custom). Plus people dress in bright colors also and
    the sun is always shining.

Some Icewm tips for themes and some premade Icewm themes also at antiX-forum - View topic - icewm
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I don't know about energy use, but I personally hate dark backgrounds as I can't easily read them. My particular bugbear is black web pages. I wonder if this is a common problem with people of my age.

Blue is my favorite desktop colour. Maybe that's because the first desktop I ever used was Windows 95 with blue sky and clouds.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I don't know about energy use, but I personally hate dark backgrounds as I can't easily read them. My particular bugbear is black web pages. I wonder if this is a common problem with people of my age.
    I suspect that it may very well be just that. You'd think that a darker screen would be easier on elderly eyes by not having so much overall brightness in your face, but apparently light-colored text on darker screens is harder on the eyes than is dark-colored text on lighter colored screens. I find that certain bright colors are hard for me to read when in text format, especially with certain reds, blues, and greens.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast