Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What do you currently use as your default Linux distribution?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • RPM-based: (Redhat, Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSUSE, etc. )

9 26.47%
  • DEB-based: (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Mepis, etc.)

16 47.06%
  • Source-based: (Crux, Gentoo, LFS, etc.)

2 5.88%
  • Other ( please specify )

7 20.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
fedora 17 in my pc,and fedora 15 in my workplace...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fedora 17 in my pc,and fedora 15 in my workplace

Just Joined!
    Archlinux so far. I think my next distro would be gentoo or slackware.

Just Joined!
    I started with Ubuntu 10.04 and use both Ubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 14 on my home computers.

I have Ubuntu 12.10 on my main PC because it works best with Steam.

aomimezura, its good to see another person from Utah in here.

I'm sorry to see the DEB is winning. I transitioned from RedHat to Mandrake/Mandriva (plus PCLinuxOS) to Fedora. I've always thought the rpm command is easier to navigate than all the apt* commands. I had hoped RPM packaging would "win" so we could dispense with DEB.

However, I've become a little annoyed at the fast pace of Fedora development. I seem to be rebooting after installing a new kernel two or three times per month, whereas I used to only have to reboot every two months or so. And I've been appreciative of Debian's stability--or at least I perceive it's pace of development is slower. So I'm thinking of installing Debian on my new laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Currently running PC-BSD on my main desktop and Siduction on my laptop
    R u enjoying PC-BSD??

Currently running Debian Wheezy default, Scientific Linux Fermi and NetBSD

I'm sorry to see the DEB is winning. I transitioned from RedHat to Mandrake/Mandriva (plus PCLinuxOS) to Fedora. I've always thought the rpm command is easier to navigate than all the apt* commands. I had hoped RPM packaging would "win" so we could dispense with DEB.

However, I've become a little annoyed at the fast pace of Fedora development. I seem to be rebooting after installing a new kernel two or three times per month, whereas I used to only have to reboot every two months or so. And I've been appreciative of Debian's stability--or at least I perceive it's pace of development is slower. So I'm thinking of installing Debian on my new laptop.
    Wow why anti-DEB so much? apt is really no different to yum. If you can work yum relatively easy you can work apt pretty easy as well. Its just some of the same commands do different things lol as you probably already know. like apt-get update and yum update. The later updates the repo list and packages, while the earlier only updates the repo list.

Debian does run at a slower development pace. Comparing Fedora and Debian is kinda like comparing a lion and a cheetah. Aside from the similarities of both being big predatory cats and the same genetic ancestor they are quite different.
    Your running Fedora which likes tp be at the forefront of adopting new technology (i.e. gnome3 etc) and Debian which tends to probably be one of the last to adopt new technology by default into the mainline.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 01-15-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    R u enjoying PC-BSD??

It is really good. There is quite a learning curve under the hood but for day to day use it is almost identical.

I've recently gone back to Siduction as when you are used to being on the leading edge of software versions, it's hard to go back to older ones. Somewhat strangely, I missed the sensation that the next update could be the one that leaves me with something interesting to fix. Again that comes with being on the bleeding edge.

When they fix the USB automounting issue (you can still use the mount command) I would, depending on the person, have no hesitation in recommending PC-BSD as a way in to the free world.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Zorin-os 6, great distro. I'm really liking it.

Centos 6.3 :]

Gentoo, as usual.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2