Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Which distribution would you most recommend for new Linux users?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • AntiX

0 0%
  • Debian

4 17.39%
  • Fedora

4 17.39%
  • Mint

7 30.43%
  • Mandriva / Mageia

2 8.70%
  • OpenSUSE

2 8.70%
  • Puppy

0 0%
  • Slackware

0 0%
  • Ubuntu / ( Ubuntu based distro )

2 8.70%
  • Other ( please specify )

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by whs I think there are 2 major obstacles that will prevent Linux from a wide usage: 1. There are far too many distros. Anybody who wants to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I think there are 2 major obstacles that will prevent Linux from a wide usage:

1. There are far too many distros. Anybody who wants to start with Linux is completely disoriented. If these guys could agree on 3 or 4 distros and scrap all the rest, it would be a lot better. And bundling their development resources would allow for lot better developments.

2. There are still too many functions that have to be executed thru the command line.
    As odd as it may seem from your perspective, there are many seasoned Linux users who consider both of those as major strengths for Linux, not obstacles. I like having lots of options to choose from, and tend to use the command line more and more as I go forward using Linux. The best way to not let all that drag you down is to pick a popular distro for new Linux users (any of the top 3 or 4), then just forget about all the others until you are totally ready to try another, and of course leave the command line stuff be until you have some experience under your belt.
    oz

Linux Guru
    There are far too many distros. Anybody who wants to start with Linux is completely disoriented
    Down south here we would call that, "Sounds like a personal problem to me."

If these guys could agree on 3 or 4 distros and scrap all the rest
    Again, sounds like a personal problem to me. One cannot decide what is best for me. Glad I have a choice.

Anybody a bit less interested than me and with less computer background would have long given up on Linux.
    And that is fine by me. But> I am a uneducated tattooed outlaw linux biker who knows nothing about computers.
    I liked it better when only outlaws rode Harleys. When the doctors,lawyers,and everybody else I would not have a drink
    in a bar with got involved. Well, it helped my motorcycle business but the runs got more boring.

Oh yeah, I voted other. Fuduntu. Because Hardware Specs play into what I recommend plus the persons posting knowledge. I run AntiX and Puppy because I want to. Not because I have to settle on just 3 or 4 choices.

That is why I think many choices are good in Linux and command line don't scare me. Now my wife. She scares me.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 02-20-2013 at 09:13 PM.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Well, you keep the mess and prevent Linux from being attractive to a greater audience. I do this only for fun. After 52 years in computers (as a profession) and after more than 50 operating systems I know what to choose. But what about Joe Blow around the corner that sees a computer for the first time. I would probably recommend he buy a Chromebook.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by retired1af View Post
    Phooey! Make 'em learn with a Gentoo stage 3 tar ball!
    Wow... not only throwing them to the wolves, but you're making sure the wolves are hungry!
    1. There are far too many distros. Anybody who wants to start with Linux is completely disoriented. If these guys could agree on 3 or 4 distros and scrap all the rest, it would be a lot better.
    I guess one could say the same thing about Ben & Jerry making so many flavors of ice cream.

But what about Joe Blow around the corner that sees a computer for the first time.
    That was pretty close to my story. I had been using Windows XP for about 3 month when I started playing around with various LiveCDs. Before that, I couldn't tell you the difference between a search engine and web page.

That said, I think Mint makes or a great novice-friendly distro.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

whs
    Just Joined!
    That said, I think Mint makes or a great novice-friendly distro
    Mint isn't bad, but I like Zorin better.

Linux Engineer
    Well, you keep the mess and prevent Linux from being attractive to a greater audience. I do this only for fun. After 52 years in computers (as a profession) and after more than 50 operating systems I know what to choose. But what about Joe Blow around the corner that sees a computer for the first time. I would probably recommend he buy a Chromebook.
    Joe Blow who has never touched a PC in his life isn't going to be running Linux. If he's rich enough, he'll most likely get something from Apple. Or he'll just go with a Windows machine.

My father is one of those who's barely computer literate. There is absolutely no way I'd recommend a Linux machine for him. Never. I've created a system image for him with detailed, step by step instructions on what he needs to do if he borks the machine. He can restore the image, but there is absolutely no way I'd attempt to teach him the ins and outs of a new OS.

I'd have to go postal on someone if it was decided to limit the number of distributions to 3 or 4. Who gets to decide? The clueless? No thank you. I'll make my own decisions thankyouverymuch.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Mint isn't bad, but I like Zorin better.
    And that's exactly why I'm glad that there are so many choices out there.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    And that's exactly why I'm glad that there are so many choices out there.
    That is a perfectly valid argument for the insiders. But if you approach Linux for the first time, the amount of distros will really disorient you and you look at them like at the wall of China. And that took more than 100 years to conquer.
    Last edited by whs; 02-21-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    This is a very good read (if occasionally preachy) that may answer a few of your questions.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

whs
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, that was one of the first things I read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2