Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Have you seen any good TV Shows lately that you would recommend to others? If so, post about it here. Last year's thread...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Have you seen any good TV Shows lately? (2013)

Have you seen any good TV Shows lately that you would recommend to others? If so, post about it here.

Last year's thread
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy

Game of Thrones

...continuing the discussion from the 2012 TV Shows thread, I finished watching the the complete first season of Game of Thrones this evening:

Game of Thrones (TV Series 2011) - IMDb

It was good, but for me it still didn't manage to rise to the level that so many others have rated it on the movie database. Some of the acting was very good and the story interesting, but the writers threw in far more nudity and meaningless sexual acts and innuendos than what was really necessary, at least in my own opinion. I don't get upset by such events in movies and television, but they seemed excessive in the first season of this series. Overall, I liked the show, and was surprised by the ending of the season finale (Daenerys Targaryen, Khal Drogo, and offspring).

The gift set that I received also included the first episode of season two, and I've watched that as well, but it wasn't enough for me to rush into a purchase of the 'complete season two' set, or enough to care about seeing it on HBO. If they happen to drop the price enough on the upcoming blu-ray set when it's released next month, I might go for it. Otherwise, I might not get any further into this series for some time to come.

That all said, it should be worth at least a rental or borrow from a friend for those that enjoy mid-evil stories, and perhaps a purchase or HBO subscription for others. My personal rating for the complete first season of Game of Thrones is a solid 7.0 out of 10...
    oz

oz
    forum.guy

Downton Abbey?

Several people have told me recently that Downton Abbey is very good:

Downton Abbey (TV Series 2010)

I've never seen a single episode so was wondering if any of you have seen it, and if so, do you think it's worthy of a purchase, or would you recommend it for rental only? If you happen to think it's worthy of neither, I'd like to know that, too.

Thanks!
    oz

Me, I follow

Justified, Fringe, Ripper Street, The Americans, and am looking foward to Defiance. coming out in April on Sci Fi Channel.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Me, I follow

Justified, Fringe, Ripper Street, The Americans, and am looking foward to Defiance. coming out in April on Sci Fi Channel.
    They all look interesting, roky.

I am familiar with Fringe but none of the others so will check them out. Very interested in taking a gander at that new Defiance series, too, once it arrives. It's hard to beat good sci-fi so I hope it turns out to be a great one!
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Did anyone here see the pilot episode of Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome when it came on a couple of days ago?

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (TV Series 2012-)

I saw just a few minutes of it and from what I saw, it looked great, but I'd like to see more of it to know for sure. I'm not even certain what channel it was on at the time.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Did anyone here see the pilot episode of Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome when it came on a couple of days ago?

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (TV Series 2012-)

I saw just a few minutes of it and from what I saw, it looked great, but I'd like to see more of it to know for sure. I'm not even certain what channel it was on at the time.
    I watched it Oz. It was pretty killer and was basically (at least to me) based on the first Cylon war with Adama playing as a newbie pilot. It was pretty good.
    I recorded it while in the motorcycle shop and then later just fast fowarded through the commercials.
    I think you'll like it.

I taped it off the sci fi channel I subscribe through on dish network
    sattelite tv.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks, roky

The mood, special effects, stage lighting, and the sound effects that I saw felt very much like the Battlestar Galactica from a few years back.
    oz

Raising Hope (TV Series 2010 <--Spinoff of sorts from "My name is Earl".
    Duck Dynasty (TV Series 2012 <---Funniest show on TV.
    Gold Rush: Alaska (TV Series 2010

I love these shows. We watch them religiously.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've just finished the 4th out of 10 episodes for season two of Game of Thrones:

Game of Thrones (TV Series 2011- )

After watching season one, it clearly didn't enthrall me quite like it did so many true fans, but it was certainly good enough that I'd recommend it to others and I wanted to continue with season two when and if the right price came along for the complete second season.

That happened, but sadly, the second season has not risen to the level of the previous season, thus far. It's still early, though, and definitely worthy of a rental, but I'm hoping that it will gather some momentum over the next 6 episodes and leave me happy that it's now in my personal blu-ray collection.

Recommended for viewing...

Edit: just watched 2 more episodes and things picked up quite a bit. Oh, and the little guy (Peter Dinklage) that I liked least at the beginning of the series is my favorite character at this point in the show. Don't know if that will change, but we'll see...
    Last edited by oz; 02-23-2013 at 02:47 AM.
    oz

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast