Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings, Happy New Year! I'm new to this forum, but not to Linux. In my previous job, I had a lot of exposure to several Linux distros, particularly enterprise distros ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Intro! and question :)

Greetings, Happy New Year! I'm new to this forum, but not to Linux. In my previous job, I had a lot of exposure to several Linux distros, particularly enterprise distros like RHEL and SLES. My job scope only involved doing basic testing of those distros with prototype hardware (so for example, installation, running some basic benchmarks, measuring performance, but not much more.)

Now that I have quit my job (yay! no regrets! looking for something that uses my degree in digital logic design) I want to learn deeper Linux skills, like stronger scripting skills, stronger command line proficiency, but I need to do this on the only computer I own right now which is a Winblows laptop. The laptop is stable, I can't afford a test system right now like I used to have accesss at for work, so although I know very well how to install Linux and create dual boot/partitions etc, I'm looking for an emulation environment I can use on Windows. I already have Cygwin, but does anybody know of a more detailed or preferred emulation environment? If I had an extra PC than I'd just use that for bare metal installation, but for now I have to preserve my Winblows install for job searches and other important stuff. But I want to increase my Linux proficiency through an emulation on Winblows. What are the best emulators? Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm a super girly girl, but also a geek! Based in Portland, OR. Love to ski (greens anyway,) rock and fossil hounding, deep love for animals, playing with my Uglydoll toys, trying new recipes, and making new friends! There's the intro, thanks for reading Appreciate any answers to my question on emulators.

Just Joined!
    (and forgot to add, I'm looking for something other than a VM. Too slow, and the various companies interfaces have some serious lag times. I'm hoping to find something straightforward and simple, just for learning purposes. Thanks)

Just Joined!
    ugh, sorry for the third post, also forgot to mention I'm not looking for Ubuntu, hoping for a different emulator, thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi and welcome

a VM would have been my first thought, as it provides a native linux environment.
    cygwin works, but will not be as complete and the behaviour of commands and Tools might be different in details.

I am not sure, which Interfaces you mean when you say they are slow.
    Or how this would be relevant for learning a script language and command line.

So I would still recommend a VM. And if that is really no Option, then maybe rent a (v)server from a hosting Provider.
    Rackspace comes to mind for that.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Irithori, what I mean by slow interfaces are that virtual machine environments show significant latency, and hog the system resources they need, hence their sometimes slow performance. I will look into vserver, thanks. I did find and interesting one just now called JSLinux which lets me emulate in the browser. So far, so good... it doesn't give me permission to any of it's very minimal system files, but it looks like I could use it for simply practicing scripting skills, which is really all I'm looking for. Thanks for the reply

My gut feeling is, that this javascript linux will be slower than a VM.
    A browser and a javascript engine are not exactly lightweight.

On my laptop I also run windows ( 8 ) because of corporate guidelines.
    And todays hardware is perfectly capable of running even multiple linux VMs.
    As an example, my lenovo x1 with 8gb, ssd and i7 runs a debian VM with a desktop in seamless mode, a "server debian VM" and a "test debian VM" in parallel.
    I do not notice any lag.
    So again, for scripting I see no reason why a VM wouldnt be sufficient.

Furthermore, there is a really nice site for language learning Learn to code | Codecademy

Just Joined!
    Cool, do the Debian VMs run under something like VMware Player? Or are they stand alone without a container?

I use virtualbox, but vmware player is also perfectly viable.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info! I just downloaded Strawberry Perl which is supposed to work on Windows but the readme is sparce and lacking, so I'll probably switch over to a vm container and just get a linux vm going like you you are. Thanks!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'll second Virtual Box, particularly if your processor has either the Intel-VT or AMD-V hardware virtualisation
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast