Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 184
Originally Posted by atreyu so your first Linux distribution was the first Linux distribution...nice, alf55 ! At the time my work computer was an Apollo Domain machine and an HP-UX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #91
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    so your first Linux distribution was the first Linux distribution...nice, alf55!
    At the time my work computer was an Apollo Domain machine and an HP-UX machine.

  2. #92
    Trusted Penguin
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    At the time my work computer was an Apollo Domain machine and an HP-UX machine.
    let's see...at that time i was at school, and my only computer experience was on a hardware word processor (glorified typewriter). and when i went home, it was the old faithful Commodore 64.

  3. #93
    Super Moderator Roxoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    let's see...at that time i was at school, and my only computer experience was on a hardware word processor (glorified typewriter). and when i went home, it was the old faithful Commodore 64.
    You were still using a Commodore 64 in 1992? That's dedication - I thought most Commodore fans had found a new Amigo by then...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

  4. #94
    Linux Guru Lazydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Keystone State
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    What would you say is the main advantage or pro to using it? Also, how is the community support?

    I don't necessarily agree with the whole "it's compiled for your computer, therefore it's best" mindset with Gentoo and friends, pretty much as long as it's ELF on x86 I don't see how anybody would notice a difference, that used to be Gentoo's huge claim to fame, haven't looked at it in awhile.
    I am by no means a guru when it comes to build the OS to fit your system. I tried Gentoo in the past and dropped it just as fast because of how complicated it was. Sabayon is a live OS which you can install which makes it easy for someone who doesn't know much about linux. Not sure what the pro's over any other OS would be because it comes down to what you like. Support has been great thus far. IRC is the best place I have found for fast support but there is a forum for support also.

    For the normal user updates are every Monday from what I have seen. There are pre-repos where you can grab the latest and greatest but I have not found a reason to do this.

    I do question security on all the desktop OSes that are out there, like Ubuntu and Sabayon, giving the user sudo rights. I think this should have to be setup and not something that is given in the beginning.

    As for the "it's compiled for your computer, therefore it's best" that is to stream line your system and only install what you really need in the kernel. Lets face it the kernels are bloated so that they can cover just about anything the system has installed. If this is a good thing or a bad thing I am not the one to judge.

    Regards
    Robert

    Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

    Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

  5. #95
    Linux Newbie Syndacate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hell..no literally, this state is hell..
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    I am by no means a guru when it comes to build the OS to fit your system. I tried Gentoo in the past and dropped it just as fast because of how complicated it was. Sabayon is a live OS which you can install which makes it easy for someone who doesn't know much about linux. Not sure what the pro's over any other OS would be because it comes down to what you like. Support has been great thus far. IRC is the best place I have found for fast support but there is a forum for support also.

    For the normal user updates are every Monday from what I have seen. There are pre-repos where you can grab the latest and greatest but I have not found a reason to do this.

    I do question security on all the desktop OSes that are out there, like Ubuntu and Sabayon, giving the user sudo rights. I think this should have to be setup and not something that is given in the beginning.

    As for the "it's compiled for your computer, therefore it's best" that is to stream line your system and only install what you really need in the kernel. Lets face it the kernels are bloated so that they can cover just about anything the system has installed. If this is a good thing or a bad thing I am not the one to judge.
    Good points.

    I think one of Gentoo's original goals with that concept wasn't just stream lining, but compatibility in general. But yeah, the kernel is fat, there's no question there.

    The sudo privileges are a little light on 'desktop' distros but I don't see this as a huge problem. There will always be that trade off between convenience and security.

    Maybe I'll give Sabayon a try at some point in the future. Not sure if I like the direction Ubuntu is going in..

  6. #96
    Trusted Penguin
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    You were still using a Commodore 64 in 1992? That's dedication - I thought most Commodore fans had found a new Amigo by then...
    I dunno, it's gotta be able to run Stix!

    stix_01.gif

  7. #97
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I dunno, it's gotta be able to run Stix!

    stix_01.gif
    OMG! I had forgotten about STIX! I kept a Commodore 64 running as long as I could for M.U.L.E. and Archon.
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  8. #98
    Trusted Penguin
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I kept a Commodore 64 running as long as I could for M.U.L.E. and Archon.
    I was an Archon God. and what about Wizard of Wor?!

  9. #99
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    An Island
    Posts
    8
    Ubuntu 5.0 or 6.0 It was very early days when only old HP drivers. . . . Ahhh Broadcom wifi adapter how I loved you . .

  10. #100
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I was an Archon God. and what about Wizard of Wor?!
    Oh wow... flashback!
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •