Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by serverautomations Back when in high school we had a bunch of PC's loaded down with Ubuntu. I'm not sure to what version it was but it must ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Quote Originally Posted by serverautomations View Post
    Back when in high school we had a bunch of PC's loaded down with Ubuntu. I'm not sure to what version it was but it must have been ancient.
    Quote Originally Posted by marikan View Post
    My first linux was was Redhat for server purpose that changed from FreeBSD. I used Mandrake for my workstation until XP come out.
    Hello and welcome, serverautomations and marikan!

wow, Ubuntu preloaded on high school PCs...Linux has come a **long** way, my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Hello and welcome, serverautomations and marikan!

wow, Ubuntu preloaded on high school PCs...Linux has come a **long** way, my friends.
    Srsly!!!!!

Just Joined!
    I could give three different answers.

FIRST distro I ever played around with "At All" was pre-Fedora redhat 6 or maybe 6.1 circa '00 or so. I plinked around for a few evenings and then it fell by the wayside. Yeah, okay, I got it to run... now what ???

FIRST distro I tried to do anything "serious" with was Corel Linux a year so so later. I was intrigued that it included WordPerfect, I'd been a big user of WP in the pre-windows v4.2 and v5 days. I really wanted it to work in the worst possible way... And maybe I wished for this too strongly because it DID work in the worst possible way.

... Intervening years, occasionally plinked around a bit here and there with OpenSolaris and FreeBSD....

FIRST version I started using "seriously" - that is to say, using it daily in an ongoing manner to get actual paid productive "work" done as opposed to merely playing around - was Scientific (RHEL) 5.8 about 3 or so years ago. Now up to Scientific 6.4.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    First distro was backtrack (what was I thinking?)

Then I jumped to Kubuntu so I could atleast have a stable distro to work with.

I am finally now on Arch Linux and loving it!

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by MatXOR View Post
    First distro was backtrack (what was I thinking?)
    jc, what didn't you like about backtrack? was it the Ubuntu-ness or something else? i've never used it myself.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    jc, what didn't you like about backtrack? was it the Ubuntu-ness or something else? i've never used it myself.
    When I first installed backtrack, it was years ago when wifi drivers were flimsy and non existant for a lot of chipsets. I spent days (full days) just trying to get an internet connection to work.

Nowadays the drivers are there, and im sure backtrack works great. For a first distro though, it was tough as nails.

Even the backtrack website suggests starting with a more newbie friendly distro such as ubuntu, so I chose kubuntu as a distro to learn on. From that point on I was hooked on linux.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Trusted Penguin
    yeah, cutting your teeth on both Linux as an OS and Wireless under Linux at the same time is a tad sadistic for a n00b. when i started out w/Linux, there was no such thing as Wireless! Hell, not even Gigabit networking. Nor USB. for that matter, even putting Linux on a laptop in the first place was a bit of a stretch. okay, i better stop now...

Debian Woody (PPC)

It came with my AmigaONE XE

It was such a culture shock. Amiga filesystems were logical ie: Libs = Libraries (& Maths Libraries), Devs = Devices (Hard-drives, CD's etc), Prefs (Guess what) C = Commands (NOT a hard drive designation)

Hard drives (& Floppies) were designated

HardDrive 0 (Zero) (HD0)
    HardDrive 1 (HD1)
    HardDrive 2 (HD2)

etc

For some obscure reason floppies were known as
    DriveFloppie 0 (DF0: etc)

I still haven't quite grasped what all the different directories of Linux are and what they're for but I've discovered (as I'm not going to be sticking my fingers in the engine thes days) I don't need to know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast_Aussie View Post
    I still haven't quite grasped what all the different directories of Linux are and what they're for but I've discovered (as I'm not going to be sticking my fingers in the engine thes days) I don't need to know anymore.
    If you want to know, there's plenty around on the Internet describing it. Try this one.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Or something a bit more light-hearted
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast