Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Ubuntu 12.02, not too long ago, just months ago......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 12.02, not too long ago, just months ago...

Just Joined!
    The first time I tried Linux was trying out Ubuntu 6.06 (and yes, it was .06; that release got delayed because even Canonical felt it wasn't fully baked. Didn't really help it because that release didn't really like my system.

My next proper attempt was with 7.04, which was the first time I *really* used Linux. Those were the glory days of Ubuntu, IMHO, though it wasn't long before I began to look at what else was out there and started distro hopping. I pretty much toured most of the major distros in my journey but I've finally moved over to Debian. Feels like home.

j70
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by affath View Post
    My next proper attempt was with 7.04, which was the first time I *really* used Linux. Those were the glory days of Ubuntu, IMHO, though it wasn't long before I began to look at what else was out there and started distro hopping.
    I agree about the glory days. I started with Ubuntu 8.04 and I feel like everything kind of fell apart starting at 9.04. I use 13.04 now, but I have to install openbox because unity doesn't work out for me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by j70 View Post
    I agree about the glory days. I started with Ubuntu 8.04 and I feel like everything kind of fell apart starting at 9.04. I use 13.04 now, but I have to install openbox because unity doesn't work out for me.
    Yeah. It was still okay up to 10.10 (which was a good release), but since then it's been downhill, and fast.

I feel like there are two strategies for distro deployment; something like Debian's stable/testing/unstable/experimental strategy, or pure rolling.

I used Gentoo for a while (installing from a stage 3, no less), and actually was using a rolling release distro while it was changing over to systemd (don't recall which it was, but it was handled flawlessly on my setup.

I'm not a huge fan of Unity either. Now using KDE on Debian (with XFCE as a fallback DE) and it's lovely. Using an older version of Skype (because MS apparently sucks at checking whether its packages actually work in Linux).

But that's okay because the older version plays well with Pidgin's plugin.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Just Joined!
    I am super-new to the wide and wonderful world of Linux. I dove right in less than six months ago and haven't looked back--wiped Windows off the computer and installed Ubuntu 13.04. After tinkering with a slew of Live USBs and few full installations, I've settled on Mint 15 KDE (at least for now). Although I have to admit, I've been checking out Chakra but it left me feeling very intimidated.

Thanks and I look forward to communicating with all of you over the course of my Linux journey!

Just Joined!
    I started with knoppix (can't remember the version but it was a while ago) then moved around a bit with different distros before settling with Fedora

I don't remember what the first Linux I got was it was 1996 and soon switch to Red Hat for a long time.

Just Joined!
    Mine was Linux Arch with the guidence of a friend from the univercity... I am still an Archer after 4 years of use...

Just Joined!
    Fedora core 4 (I think). Was either 4 or 6. Its been a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkeer View Post
    Fedora core 4 (I think). Was either 4 or 6. Its been a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Sounds familiar. FC6 was my first true install. Never looked back after that.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast