Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
This thread is sticky now !...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

This thread is sticky now !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Nice thread!
    Way back when Moby Dick was a minnow ('99 I think) I started using Redhat 5.2 Deluxe Edition 2 CD set that I bought from a rummage/discount bin at Best Buy. I think I paid $5.00 for it.....farted around with it, ruined my CPU by removing it and inserting it wrong.....on reboot it said PPHHHHZZZZZZ ZZAPPPopopop.
    Got another machine and installed it on there, been digging life ever since. It's been a helluva ride I can say that.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I found a Suse 9 disk in a book but I could not deal with it. I then bought a box of Suse 10 installation disks which
    made me go out on the hunt for an external modem so that I could use it on the internet.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Just Joined!
    suse 1 or 2 on some floppy disks. With kde1, that wood theme really sucked and it was so slow.
    After the change to redhat I never switched back to suse again. I like to have different config files instead of one big one

Just Joined!
    Installed Ubuntu 8.04 over Windows XP on my laptop. Untouched for 6 months... then got internet access... been using Ubuntu (amongst others) for 6 years. I put linux on everything I can. Rockbox on my Sansa Fuze, OS2008 on my Nokia N810, Android on my Nexus 7, Mint 14 on old laptop, Ubuntu 12.04 on PC and new laptop, Ubuntu inside Windows 8 with VirtualBox at work, Ubuntu server... WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS?!

Quote Originally Posted by aomimezura View Post
    WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS?!
    Because you've been hoarding it all for yourself!
    I've been trying to turn people onto Linux for a long time. They just don't care. They look at you like you fell out of a tree when you try to explain Linux to them. I've managed to convert our son, that's about it.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-10-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Typo
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    My first distro was ASPlinux.
    After its death, I tried OpenSuse (3 days) leave it as it was very ugly; then I tried Mandriva (used it for 3 or 4 years). After Mandriva's death I turned to Archlinux. But it's almost dead now (systemd and other unusable things), so I look for a new distro. I think, it would be gentoo or slackware. When they would die, I even don't know what to use, maybe BSD?

For me it was in the late 90's - probly around '98. We had a copy of RedHat 3.x (3.6 I think) and 4 in the office, and I borrowed the disks. I think the first version I got hold of myself was RedHat 6. I've probably still got the disks somewhere.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Green hand on Linux. I first tried CENTOS and It was real bad exoerience. After installation , I simply didn't know how to config network staff and quitted on Linux. Then I found Ubuntu a good one to start and now I'm using Ubuntu 12.01

Yeah, the Ubuntu family (including Mint) makes for a good starting point for Linux newcomers. They have enough automated tools to help make the transition a smoother one.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast