Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
I started with Ubuntu 6.06. I've stuck with Ubuntu ever since but have also used, Debian, Mepis, Crunchbang, Bodhi, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I started with Ubuntu 6.06. I've stuck with Ubuntu ever since but have also used, Debian, Mepis, Crunchbang, Bodhi, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu.

Just Joined!
    I started with Ubuntu 11.04

Just Joined!
    My first distro was open suse 10.1.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I first played with Red Hat, Mandrake and may be others in 2000 I think. It was a very poor experience as very little seemed to work after days of fiddling with configuration files.

10 years later I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and have stayed with the Ubuntu family since by using all four main flavours. In the main, everything seems to work first time.
    EXACTLY my path! I also started with Red Hat. After that switched to Mandrake. I especially liked Mandrake because of the easy to use interface and the online courses on learning linux. This was in the late 90's. Then I used MS for a while and with 10.04 I rediscovered linux. I became more active in the opensource world and with the coming of the Unity desktop, I decided to get rid of MS for good. No more dualboot for me. Just plain Ubuntu! Now I am on 12.10 on my laptop and for the servers I manage I use Zentyal. A set of packages on top of Ubuntu LTS that turn Ubuntu server into a fullblown Small Business Server.

Just Joined!
    Mine was a Suse disk back in 2002 I got at Walmart before Novell bought the company. I couldn't get it to work because it didn't recognize my modem. Glad Linux has gotten so much better since then.

Linux Engineer
    Unix System V on an AT&T 3B2 back in 1991.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af View Post
    Unix System V on an AT&T 3B2 back in 1991.
    Oooh, i bet that was exciting at the time... now its just history. Although System V is still running, don't know how it compares to Linux, Solaris and *BSD in terms of support and performance.

Someone that has access to System V should to a benchmark comparing the current UNIX systems. It would be interesting to see how they compare. Oh and just for controversy you could add Windows and Mac

My very first was RedHat, then Mandrake, and after a long 6-7 year break (not by choice) I got my own laptop four years ago, and have been Mint faithful ever since

Caldera Linux back around, 2000 maybe? (guessing on the year) From a disk included with a computer magazine. I looked at the disk and wondered what this "Linux" thing was.

Maybe it was closer to 2003/4 since I joined this forum in '04 and many other Linux related forums in '03/'04.
    Glenn