Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
My first was PCLinuxOS. I thought it was cool that it had a Live CD so I could load it up in class in high school and bypass the monitoring....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My first was PCLinuxOS. I thought it was cool that it had a Live CD so I could load it up in class in high school and bypass the monitoring.

Just Joined!
    in early 1990s i tried with Red Hat (6 I think), very dificult, Live SUSE worked so used it on various windows 98, XP machines. Then discovered Knoppix which transformed my Linux usage. Then SUSE and OpenSuse ( 8 to 12.2 used) as a Linux only box, while other windows machine is dual booted with Live Distros (Knoppix, SLAX, and others). However my main Linux workhorse is OpenSUSE

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by K_ABC View Post
    but I didn't take Linux seriously until I used Knoppix 3.something to access a downed Windows system. :
    I agree with you Knoppix 3 transformed how i used and saw linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Started originally with Mandrake 9.2 on second real computer that was just mine, then dabbled with OpenSUSE and Fedora Core until settling in with Ubuntu!

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS. I remember a friend of mine showed it to me on his laptop. I remember installing 8 on a 2002 PC with 256 RAM. Worked great until it died on me in 2010, then bought a $250 PC to replace it. Loved Linux since then

Some old version of SUSE (like 6.X?). I went back to Windows because I couldn't figure out how to get WINE to work .

EDIT:
    After I ran from SUSE kicking and screaming, the first distro I tried after that was Kubuntu - 7.04 Feisty. So I guess you could say that that was my "new first" - as that's when I started dipping in distros.
    /EDIT

I typically just stay on Ubuntu now. I'm not a big fan of Canonical, but it seems to be the 'most complete' when it comes to 'just working' out of the box. Have tried tons, typically something stupid that I can't fix turns me away from other distros quickly. When I'm in the mood to figure out I suppose that stuff is great, but when you just want something to work, it's annoying as piss. Also appreciate their handling of proprietary drivers. Rarely have to bother with the manual setup.

I wanted to get an Arch setup up and running at full capacity to try that as a day to day OS, but due to lack of time, I stopped after I installed the base system . The main reasons simply being rolling release (though I suppose it won't be too soon because Canonical is in the same boat, eh?), more cutting edge repos, what I believe to be more flexability, and a more knowledgeable userbase, so when I get jammed up in something, I don't have to sit around for 3 days twiddling my thumbs waiting for somebody who actually knows how it's set up in UbuntuForums.

Linux Newbie
    My first linux distro was backtrack 5 because I wanted to learn how to hack. But I didn't know how to do anything, I didn'e know how to partition or anything then when I wanted windows back it said the grub error. And then I learned about drivers and the vulnerability of windows and tried linux mint 12 and loved it thats what I run well not 12 but 14 still mint though.

Just Joined!
    My one and only distro I've tried is CentOS 6.3 but I'm still trying to learn linux!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
    My one and only distro I've tried is CentOS 6.3 but I'm still trying to learn linux!!!
    CentOS isn't the best for end users, IMO. I don't think it's the best desktop distro (by a long shot) either. Just my $.02, though.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    CentOS isn't the best for end users, IMO. I don't think it's the best desktop distro (by a long shot) either. Just my $.02, though.
    It is CentOS 6.3 with Secure-Appliance 10.0.9v in VMware Player....

browser.shell.tor.hu/

For added security against viruses I was told.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast