Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
I started with Fedora Core-2 in 2003-2004. I think it has around 4 CD. I spend sleepless night trying to install it on my Desktop at college hostel Good old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I started with Fedora Core-2 in 2003-2004. I think it has around 4 CD. I spend sleepless night trying to install it on my Desktop at college hostel Good old days 10 years later, I'm with Fedora-18!
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I am currently using CentOS 5.4 but im in the process of exploring 6.4

Suse 6.1 was my first one.

Before that (although not Linux but Unix) HP-UX 6.5 (1989)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Slackware 3.0 was the first Distro I used..

I am pretty sure in 1995, I got a few CDs to make the Slackware distribution and kernel.

I remember buying it at a computer show that came to the local junior college for about $40.00. Back then we had 28.8k modems and it would have taken a long time (more than $40.00 worth) of time to download the distribution.

Now I use Fedora 18, which seems pretty easy to control.

- Raj

Just Joined!
    Anyone know a good beginners distro?

I like Fedora. It was easy to set up, as it detected all my hardware. You can test run a live CD or live USB before you install it to the hard drive. The user camp is very experienced as many people will help you. The only bad thing is it is a cousin to redhat and many of the contributors are Red Hat employees. That doesn't bother me and they are all contributing to the health and future of the kernel of Linux.

- Raj

Trusted Penguin
    like some other lifers here, i cut my teeth on Red Hat Linux back in the 90s (6.0 on way too many floppies, I think) and after that, ran to Mandrake's sugary embrace for a spell. I eventually came back to RHEL/Fedora eventually, after a dalliance with SUSE.

Just Joined!
    Hi All, I first tried Knoppix and Mandrake, but couldn't get them to work. Then came Mepix, Red Hat, CentOS, DSL, and several others. I eventually settled on Ubuntu, which I really liked up to the unity thing. However, I just learned a few minutes ago while forum surfing that it is possible to change the desktop to Mint, Cinnamon, and a few others, so that's going to be my next project. I love Linux!

The things I miss from the M$ world is excel and a few favorite games (Red Alert and Age of Empires 2). Office Libre destroyed the first xls I tried to open so I don't trust it. Open Office works well, but it doesn't translate everything I need, so I'm still tied to excel for the moment.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by higexac View Post
    Anyone know a good beginners distro?
    You will probably get a lot of recommendations. I like Mint Mate. Find it to be the easiest to get started. I have made a set of tutorials to get you started. You can download the control sheets (2 PDFs) from here.

If you have Chrome, you can read/control them in Chrome. Just double click on the orange box. Else right click for download.

I agree with WHS. Mint is easier, as it contains software that Fedora won't distribute as it violates the free/GNU philosophy. I am particularly thinking about MP3 playing and manipulation, which I am pretty sure comes with Mint.

I think the key is to start using any Linux distro and take notes. Initially, I had a spiral notebook which notated what changes I made to the base OS.

Now, I keep a simple file in my home directory, with instructions of changes I have made. Every 6 months Fedora comes out with a new release and I re-install to clean up my hard drive. You can upgrade using different tools, but I like the challenge of rebuilding. The Fedora way is called 'Fed Up'. I am not sure what you do for Mint.

I also have scripts that back up my data (not applications or Operating System) to another drive/computer. That way, If I have a catastrophic problem, I can recover. You might be able to do that with Windows, but I am not sure how to just backup data, not the applications.

There have been a few occasions where I had to recover a file. I am glad it is now automatic, so I don't have to think about it.

- Raj

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast