Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Honestly it makes me really mad they're doing this, totally ignore all us 32 bit users who computers work just fine, but at the same time totally understand it I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What do you think of Chakra Linux giving up 32 bit?

Honestly it makes me really mad they're doing this, totally ignore all us 32 bit users who computers work just fine, but at the same time totally understand it

I know another distro that does this, Iqunix. Soon all might do this

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Is it giving up 32-bit, or just adding 64-bit capabilities? In truth, all 64-bit Linux distributions can run 32-bit applications. This issue is more a hardware one than anything else. Almost all current Intel-compatible processors are capable of 64-bit operation, so dropping 32-bit support mostly means that you will either have to build a 32-bit version manually if you have old hardware, or stay with the older version.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I think when a distro decides to do this they should come out with one last long term build for it. I can see why they do it and I am sure more will do it down the road.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I prefer distros that support 32 bit, I'd just move on ... there are still plenty of distros which support 32 bit. Having said that I'm not really their target audience
    rokytnji likes this.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I prefer distros that support 32 bit, I'd just move on ... there are still plenty of distros which support 32 bit. Having said that I'm not really their target audience
    I have a number of older 32-bit systems and run Linux on them. I'd prefer to use a newer version that supports older (386 and 486) hardware. My work-a-day systems all are newer hardware, fully supporting 64-bit code, but I have some software on the older systems that won't port so easily.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    32 bit users haven't got long and as for the 386, well...
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!

Alternative to Chakra 32 bit

Lubuntu 12.04 LTS (supported until April 2017) 32 bit ,will be fine if your processor /hardware is not 64 bit.

I happily run Lubuntu 10.04 on a desktop (AMD Athlon processor 32bit; 1GB RAM) Desktop is from AD1998 ,motherboard upgraded in AD2002

Also run Lubuntu 12.04 on an old laptop (AD2003)with P4-2.4GHz CPU and 512MB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Read those articles about the 386. However, the main difference between a 386+387 and a 486 chip is the second socket... I guess I'll just have to keep my old Gentoo version running on the antique cruft.

Linux Guru
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.6.2-antix.1-486-smp
    there are still plenty of distros which support 32 bit
    Nicely said Jonathan183. Still Dumpster diving/fishing for a computer with With Windows 7 on it .

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    My desktop PC would be about 35 years old by then ... and I should have been retired for about 5 years or so ... depending on how high the government has managed to ratchet up the retirement age by then

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Read those articles about the 386. However, the main difference between a 386+387 and a 486 chip is the second socket... I guess I'll just have to keep my old Gentoo version running on the antique cruft.
    distrowatch still lists 100+ distros with 386 support so you still have options ...

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Still Dumpster diving/fishing for a computer with With Windows 7 on it
    ... give it a year or two
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 01-11-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast