Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayd512
For those of you not already aware of it, Patrick Verner (the developer of Parted Magic) has just started and announced a new database that he has setup to list ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Distrozilla.com: a new Linux distribution database

For those of you not already aware of it, Patrick Verner (the developer of Parted Magic) has just started and announced a new database that he has setup to list info about any and all Linux distributions that want to be listed in the database:

Distrozilla Linux Distribution Database

Details about implementing the new startup can be found here:

forums.partedmagic.com : View topic - Idea for new distribution website

So far, it appears to be off to a pretty good start.
    oz

Nice start, but imho a few things are still missing
    - tags (e.g. rpm/deb based, which architectures, etc)
    - maybe information on which distro a new distro is based on (if any)
    - categories. e.g. desktop, server, multimedia
    - filter, sort capabilities
    - empty descriptions for a few listed distros need to be edited with information
    - too few distros still
    - afaik, it is based on user contribution. Which makes sense. But then a moderator team should ensure, that a (defined) minimum set of information is there for any listed distro.

In short, I would want to find a distro for a given usecase.
    E.g. enter a few keywords (firewall, livecd, fileserver) and the site should then show a refined list of matching distros.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

It does look like a good start. I agree with Irithori that it will need more tags, categories, etc. Various organization.
    A fine start, though. It may turn out to be comparable to DistroWatch if all goes well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Competition is always good. I hope it ends up being a very well run and maintained database. It'll force Distrowatch to improve in my opinion....not that it's not already great. I'm a BIG fan of Parted Magic and I just feel they would do well here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Competition is always good. I hope it ends up being a very well run and maintained database. It'll force Distrowatch to improve in my opinion....not that it's not already great. I'm a BIG fan of Parted Magic and I just feel they would do well here.
    True on all points. DistroWatch already rocks, but maybe this will help to keep them on their toes. And also give Distrozilla a great standard to meet.
    And frankly... Parted Magic should be a requirement in every geeks toolkit!
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    I have no idea what additional plans Verner might have for the database, but do agree that any competition with other websites should be a good thing. I'm thinking he will probably start adding features that will benefit end users and distro submitters if he sees that the project has a positive future.

...and I'm in total agreement with jayd512 that a copy of Parted Magic in one's arsenal is a 'must have'!
    oz