Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Welcome to my thread. I suppose you here becuase your intruged by hering a new name? (or maybe you accidently clicked here missing the thread you actually wanted to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Humbell (Engine Start)

Hello.
    Welcome to my thread.
    I suppose you here becuase your intruged by hering a new name?
    (or maybe you accidently clicked here missing the thread you actually wanted to read?)

Yes I know "Another" linux distro - Actually it's rather less then that - I havent got a VPS server up and running so there no distro updates and it's based off of debian again - and we all know when we say "based" we really mean it's identical with a different theme, right?

But it's not what it is - it's what it can be. I haven't got access to the screen shots I've taken as I'm currently in collage - I'll post them soon.

The concept with it isn't dissimular - to make an OS which is user friendly and straight forward to develop for - a consumer based OS.

"It doesn't have to be innovated - just better then the rest of the competition"

There no point it stating that it's going to be user friendly and striaght and clean without no propositions stating how we're going to get there.
    The bad thing about some of the concepts I have in mind is that there is tons of potential to break compatibility with all Linux developed applications - however I'm optimistic - 20 minutes and the linux applications will be fully compatible.

Here's the plan:

Gives users an Abstract Filesystem
    The filesystem in Unix specific OS's (Linux) is complicated - all of the system folders are intergrated in the root of the filesystem which is in clear path of the user. may other OS's try to disguise this - Windows puts everything in the 'Windows' folder - Apple puts all the system specfic stuff in the "System" folder in OS10.

average users don't recognise "Bin" is short for binary - they think "Bin" is a place to put lots of crap in. (I've seen user try to do this before.)

An old idea was to manipulate all the system folders and move them into one spot (under a /system dir)

but as the saying goes - it's easier to build something new then change something that's old.

instead I want to build a virtual file system which create a set of places where users can store all their files.
    I didn't want to restrict file access like on most embedded OS's (android , iOS) so I think this is the best alternative.

User can access "Places" like Music , Videos , Pictures , Downloads - and new places are dynamically added like USB flash drives and smartphone (maybe even have built in intergration for iPhones and iDevices so you can bypass heavy synchronization applications.)

Also give admins the flexiblity to use nautilus and access the legacy filesystem.

Mouse events happen around the mouse

Window 8 is rather... unproductive - the user has to span the whole lenght of a screen to achieve one task - like opening up an application. yes I'm just lazy - but after working for 8 hours constantly going back and forth all over the screen you start to feel it in the wrist.
    The same happens without using your mouse - touching a vertical surface for several hours - all that work to counter gravity may be little initially , but it adds up.

I don't care for touch screen - phones yes as buttons are fiddly and take up room internally in a device more so then a digitizer for a touch screen - however fingers are to inaccrurate to use and to much effort to, when working for several hous instead of several minutes on a phone.

Mouses are slow in comparison to a touch interface - microsoft worsens this by placing the even of a mouse click on the opposite side of the screen.

- Mouse clickes here - up 10 pixels - Mouse clicks again ,
    NOT - Mouse clicks here - 1566 pixels later , mouse clicks again -
    and a touch pad on a laptop - there both in accurate and slow
    -Inaccurate, meaning you have to keep the sensitively low which means you have to swipe it 2-3 times to get it over to the other side of the screen.

I want almost all click events to occur under 300 pixels away from the mouse - have pop up menus - not whole pop up screens.

Universal Application Development Framework

Reading Linux Format, one of the biggest problems on linux is the fact there is no universal API's all systems agree on - the thng is this very feature is what makes linux - linux.

So I have a proposition (Albiet it will be alittle hard to archieve in such a primative project like this).

Create an interface:
    Application calls system API framwork.
    System API framework reachs a solution for the subsystem message to

kinda like a Inter API Communcation protcol.

"You said you want to make development easier!"
    Yes - but one API interface for all Global API interface based distro's despite all the systems have different underlying archietecture.

Problems? how to interface this cross language? via C of course! but C is rather old and primitive... What am I saying - C is good becuase it's primative and old and stable.

I'm no where near a good enough programmer to design and implement this without the fact it'll take decades to develop and debug.

But it'll make Linux awesome.

Save Screen Space

I want to have a UI design which takes as less space as possible. Most 15" laptop have a really small resolution (1366*768 / 1024*762)
    applications like 3DS max and photoshop are a nightmare to use on these displays as you have to be going in and out of menus all day.

There are massive parts of the system which are never used - Windows task bar - ok some people use the whole bar , but average end users just use a 1/4 of it. it's a wast of space.
    Window title bars - thick bar which contains an icon and a text of what applcaiton your using.
    Minimize it - put the close , minimize and maximise , and logo on a mini bar up and use the rest for the Application's toolbar
    - you would have ~80 pixels (out of 768 (10%)) wasted by improperly placed bars, and non needed text.

Mac OSX - most of the top bar is wasted - but it's fairly small so I kinda let it go meanwhile the dock! my god , a 100px thick sludge of unused mess. i know I'm going to get alot of stick - it's my view, I'm sure you have your own as you use it differently then I do.

And I've ran out of time.
    I'll Edit this post later. yes - there are tons of unfinished sentences and stuff that doesn't make sense , but windows account is broken - I can't save files over sessions.

Just Joined!

Angry

How did you manage to get into college when you display that you can't even spell, or even use proper grammar? Perhaps you should take remedial courses in English spelling and grammar? What did they teach you in High School?

I would expect that if someone want's to get one's ideas published and understood out there in the world, they should at least show that they have a reasonable command of their maternal language. If that's too difficult, then there is always a dictionary that could be used as a spelling reference. And of course, computers have spelling checkers. The tool of a computer was not available when I went to school. I did it the hard way! Now you have the availability of this technology, why not take advantage of it?

I for one, English was not my maternal language. But when I did learn English, I made sure that I did a good job at it. It helped me my entire life to easily find employment. It made a good impression on my would be employers. And I was able to write and submit legible reports, which pleased my employers.

If you want to impress the world with your knowledge, it will take a little effort to do it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by naf456 View Post
    Hello.
    Welcome to my thread.
    I suppose you here becuase your intruged by hering a new name?
    (or maybe you accidently clicked here missing the thread you actually wanted to read?)

Yes I know "Another" linux distro - Actually it's rather less then that - I havent got a VPS server up and running so there no distro updates and it's based off of debian again - and we all know when we say "based" we really mean it's identical with a different theme, right?

But it's not what it is - it's what it can be. I haven't got access to the screen shots I've taken as I'm currently in collage - I'll post them soon.

The concept with it isn't dissimular - to make an OS which is user friendly and straight forward to develop for - a consumer based OS.

"It doesn't have to be innovated - just better then the rest of the competition"

There no point it stating that it's going to be user friendly and striaght and clean without no propositions stating how we're going to get there.
    The bad thing about some of the concepts I have in mind is that there is tons of potential to break compatibility with all Linux developed applications - however I'm optimistic - 20 minutes and the linux applications will be fully compatible.

Here's the plan:

Gives users an Abstract Filesystem
    The filesystem in Unix specific OS's (Linux) is complicated - all of the system folders are intergrated in the root of the filesystem which is in clear path of the user. may other OS's try to disguise this - Windows puts everything in the 'Windows' folder - Apple puts all the system specfic stuff in the "System" folder in OS10.

average users don't recognise "Bin" is short for binary - they think "Bin" is a place to put lots of crap in. (I've seen user try to do this before.)

An old idea was to manipulate all the system folders and move them into one spot (under a /system dir)

but as the saying goes - it's easier to build something new then change something that's old.

instead I want to build a virtual file system which create a set of places where users can store all their files.
    I didn't want to restrict file access like on most embedded OS's (android , iOS) so I think this is the best alternative.

User can access "Places" like Music , Videos , Pictures , Downloads - and new places are dynamically added like USB flash drives and smartphone (maybe even have built in intergration for iPhones and iDevices so you can bypass heavy synchronization applications.)

Also give admins the flexiblity to use nautilus and access the legacy filesystem.

Mouse events happen around the mouse

Window 8 is rather... unproductive - the user has to span the whole lenght of a screen to achieve one task - like opening up an application. yes I'm just lazy - but after working for 8 hours constantly going back and forth all over the screen you start to feel it in the wrist.
    The same happens without using your mouse - touching a vertical surface for several hours - all that work to counter gravity may be little initially , but it adds up.

I don't care for touch screen - phones yes as buttons are fiddly and take up room internally in a device more so then a digitizer for a touch screen - however fingers are to inaccrurate to use and to much effort to, when working for several hous instead of several minutes on a phone.

Mouses are slow in comparison to a touch interface - microsoft worsens this by placing the even of a mouse click on the opposite side of the screen.

- Mouse clickes here - up 10 pixels - Mouse clicks again ,
    NOT - Mouse clicks here - 1566 pixels later , mouse clicks again -
    and a touch pad on a laptop - there both in accurate and slow
    -Inaccurate, meaning you have to keep the sensitively low which means you have to swipe it 2-3 times to get it over to the other side of the screen.

I want almost all click events to occur under 300 pixels away from the mouse - have pop up menus - not whole pop up screens.

Universal Application Development Framework

Reading Linux Format, one of the biggest problems on linux is the fact there is no universal API's all systems agree on - the thng is this very feature is what makes linux - linux.

So I have a proposition (Albiet it will be alittle hard to archieve in such a primative project like this).

Create an interface:
    Application calls system API framwork.
    System API framework reachs a solution for the subsystem message to

kinda like a Inter API Communcation protcol.

"You said you want to make development easier!"
    Yes - but one API interface for all Global API interface based distro's despite all the systems have different underlying archietecture.

Problems? how to interface this cross language? via C of course! but C is rather old and primitive... What am I saying - C is good becuase it's primative and old and stable.

I'm no where near a good enough programmer to design and implement this without the fact it'll take decades to develop and debug.

But it'll make Linux awesome.

Save Screen Space

I want to have a UI design which takes as less space as possible. Most 15" laptop have a really small resolution (1366*768 / 1024*762)
    applications like 3DS max and photoshop are a nightmare to use on these displays as you have to be going in and out of menus all day.

There are massive parts of the system which are never used - Windows task bar - ok some people use the whole bar , but average end users just use a 1/4 of it. it's a wast of space.
    Window title bars - thick bar which contains an icon and a text of what applcaiton your using.
    Minimize it - put the close , minimize and maximise , and logo on a mini bar up and use the rest for the Application's toolbar
    - you would have ~80 pixels (out of 768 (10%)) wasted by improperly placed bars, and non needed text.

Mac OSX - most of the top bar is wasted - but it's fairly small so I kinda let it go meanwhile the dock! my god , a 100px thick sludge of unused mess. i know I'm going to get alot of stick - it's my view, I'm sure you have your own as you use it differently then I do.

And I've ran out of time.
    I'll Edit this post later. yes - there are tons of unfinished sentences and stuff that doesn't make sense , but windows account is broken - I can't save files over sessions.