Find the answer to your Linux question:
It appears Fedora 18 has finally been released: Fedora 18 Spherical Cow lands with MATE, Eucalyptus, KDE 4.9 | Real Time News, India So go get it! Fedora Project - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Fedora 18 Official release

oz
    forum.guy
    The biggest surprise to me is that the devs included MATE, even in the official release. You'd think they would have tweaked a Gnome2 release and included that instead, but I guess they felt that a better desktop environment option was needed, and they didn't want to go to all that much trouble when MATE is ready and raring to go. I'm guessing the fellow that forked Gnome2 in order to create MATE has his hands full about now.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    The biggest surprise to me is that the devs included MATE, even in the official release. You'd think they would have tweaked a Gnome2 release and included that instead, but I guess they felt that a better desktop environment option was needed, and they didn't want to go to all that much trouble when MATE is ready and raring to go.
    Yeah. A wise decision, IMHO, going w/a proven product in MATE, and more importantly, one cherished by existing Fedora users. With 7 or so slip-dates, they need to worry about credibility and making smart, user-oriented choices right about now!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    So, I've been trying to test drive this release in a VM. It's buggy, it's unstable, it's just plain terrible.

SystemD is not ready for prime time. I don't expect RHEL 7 RC to be release until mid 2014 at this rate.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    So, I've been trying to test drive this release in a VM. It's buggy, it's unstable, it's just plain terrible.
    yeah, that about sums up what i've been reading about it. haven't had the need or the nerve to take the plunge yet, though - still on F17. looks like I may stay there until F19.

SystemD is not ready for prime time. I don't expect RHEL 7 RC to be release until mid 2014 at this rate.
    i'm a little surprised about that. i've been using it (systemd) since F16 w/good results.

oz
    forum.guy
    Regarding systemd... I know nothing about Fedora's implementation of systemd, but it's working pretty well under Arch. Even a lot of systemd haters have had a change of heart and turned into likers (not sure that's a word), or maybe even lovers. There are still some holdouts, though. I've had no problems with systemd at all, so far.

Hopefully, the migration won't upset too many Fedora users.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Hopefully, the migration won't upset too many Fedora users.
    yeah, i agree. Fedora is an important distro, even though it is not as user friendly as some others. Fedora has historically been more stable than not, so I'm confident they'll get back on track quickly.