Find the answer to your Linux question:
While playing around with various window managers recently, I happened across this listing of window managers and desktop environments that were built for Unix/Linux systems: The Comprehensive List of Window ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

The Comprehensive List of Window Managers for Unix

While playing around with various window managers recently, I happened across this listing of window managers and desktop environments that were built for Unix/Linux systems:

The Comprehensive List of Window Managers for Unix

There were 223 of them listed as I posted this, not all of them still active of course, but I thought some of you might enjoy looking through the listing to see which ones you've used in the past, or perhaps you might want to check out others on the list that you aren't familiar with.

Have fun browsing!
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Great! Thanks oz! Some of these bring back memories - last used MWM and TWM around 1995 or so. Definitely not since about 2000!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Great! Thanks oz! Some of these bring back memories - last used MWM and TWM around 1995 or so. Definitely not since about 2000!
    I'm not sure how many people might still use them, if any, but there is still a select crowd that continues to prefer that look (window decorations) that they had. Either way, there's a lot of history in that window manager listing.
    oz

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

For many details of some of those managers, see Comparison of X window managers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It does not include all the managers in the comprehensive list, but the devil (or devel, perhaps) is in the details, as they say.

The comprehensive list is mentioned in the Wikipedia article. There are many such comparisons at Wikipedia -- see Category:Software comparisons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

oz
    forum.guy
    That's very good info... thanks for posting it, drl!

To me, it's great that Linux users have so many options available to them. Of course, a lot of users never get past using whatever is included with their chosen distro, but for those users that truly want a custom environment, all these options make it much easier for them achieve it.
    oz