Find the answer to your Linux question:
CRUX 3.0 is now available for download and they've officially moved to 64-bit Linux as their official release: More than 11 years after the release of CRUX 0.5 for i686, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

CRUX 3.0 has been released

CRUX 3.0 is now available for download and they've officially moved to 64-bit Linux as their official release:

More than 11 years after the release of CRUX 0.5 for i686, CRUX 3.0 is the first release for the x86-64 architecture.
    At the time Per Liden had created CRUX, the i686 processor on base of the 32-bit Intel IA-32 architecture was state of the art and therefore chosen by him as the default optimization for CRUX. But nowadays the i686 arch is more or less obsolete, at least for desktop machines, and superseded by the x86-64 architecture.
    See the release notes here:

http://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes3-0

Downloads are available here:

http://crux.nu/Main/Download
    oz

Just Joined!
    What windows manager is default?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgange View Post
    What windows manager is default?
    There isn't a default... no DEs or WMs get installed unless you install them yourself.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    @ Dapper Dan

... Dapper, I figured you'd be all over this release, especially if you have some 64-bit capable machines available to install it on. You must still be staying really busy with work. Hope you get a chance to try it and will report back on it. I've not even been taking the time to update the previous version lately, but would still like to give this release a spin in the near future.
    oz

Hi Oz! No, haven't tried it. Sorry it took me so long to see this. Mint has made me positively lazy. Recently I tried LMDE thinking it might strike the right balance for me between a hands on distro like CRUX and the ease of Ubuntu based Mint. Without going into all the reasons why, Steam is uninstallable, It crashes when trying to scan with my Brother Printer and even Minecraft won't work correctly. In the old days I'd set to and try to figure out why I was having these issues and come up with a remedy but I just don't have the time nor the patience I once did. So... I'm nuking and paving and will go with regular Mint 15 with XFCE. I'll apt-get IceWM of course. When I get that done, I may try tinkering with CRUX 3.0. Hopefully my addiction to speed will kick in and I'll be right back compiling kernels, linking libraries and editing obscure ports makefiles.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I've got it on my new HP Compaq, but only with a very basic set-up. I don't play games so I don't use Steam or Minecraft, and I do my scanning out of Slackbody. I use Openbox as my Crux desktop and haven't had any problems compiling things as long as I stick to the official repositories.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com