Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
I heard that in the short term it was fairly unpleasant but the next year's crops were spectacular!!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

I heard that in the short term it was fairly unpleasant but the next year's crops were spectacular!!
    MikeTbob likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Hi people. I'm alex and i am looking forward to learning a lot from the howtos and tutorial on this nice forum. I have been using linux for only 3 years (ubuntu and more recently opensuse) and i am thinking of getting linux mint when i have lots of time to dedicate to customization. I am studying in the bioinformatics field and i am particulary fond of heavy beautiful databases. Originally i started as a molecular biologist then drifted to informatics. Best decision of my life. Linux communities are very interesting to lurk but as a beginner i don't participate a lot. Hopefully i will soon be able to write helpful answers aswell.

Trusted Penguin
    welcome aboard, Arlec! have you come across these biological dbs?

Just Joined!
    Some! I wasn't aware wikipedia listed them. That's neat! Thank you!

Just Joined!
    Well, I suppose I might as well formally introduce myself.

I've been using Linux for a while and have been Linux full time for the past year and a bit. I do miss some of my Windows games (especially SimCity 4, which doesn't seem to want to work under WINE of late, though I might try again with this Debian setup, might have more luck).

It's been quite the journey but I know my way around *reasonably* well. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I'll probably be able to help answering a question here and there.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by affath View Post
    welcome aboard, affath!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by affath View Post

I've been using Linux for a while and have been Linux full time for the past year and a bit. I do miss some of my Windows games (especially SimCity 4, which doesn't seem to want to work under WINE of late, though I might try again with this Debian setup, might have more luck).

It's been quite the journey but I know my way around *reasonably* well. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I'll probably be able to help answering a question here and there.
    You can always install Windows in a virtual machine (such as provided by Oracle's VirtualBox) and run your SimCity game there. As I recall (my daughter is a SimCity/Sims addict), it isn't terribly graphically intensive, unlike games such as GTA, et al, so it should run just fine in a virtual environment if it doesn't work with the later/latest versions of Wine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

After heeding the request of this sticky, I have created an account. Hi, I'm Hildr, which is only my secret, magical internet name, of course. Well, maybe not magical, and I suppose the level of secrecy is dependent on who is actually looking, but I digress.

Let me start over.

Hi, I'm Hildr. Happy to be here!

*I somehow managed to hit Shift when typing the "i" in Hildr so it looks like 'Hlldr". Sigh. I emailed an admin to see if they could correct it, so that it display with the lowercase "i"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Welcome to The Linux Forums Hildr. Holler when you have a problem or need a question answered, of the Linux variety of course! For those kind of things, use the appropriate forum. For general conversations, discussions, and good-natured arguments, here in the Coffee Lounge is the place to be...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks, Rubberman

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast