Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to start off by saying hello to all I'm a brand spanking new member to the community, very excited to be here (obviously seeing as joining is optional). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New member seeking advice!

I'd like to start off by saying hello to all I'm a brand spanking new member to the community, very excited to be here (obviously seeing as joining is optional). I've been using linux for about 6 years or so and love it! I try to convert anyone and everyone given the opportunity. I am a bit of a hoarder as I eagerly take in others "old" computers with intentions of putting them to use for something in my home network

Today I come to you seeking advice, I've long used Ubuntu w/ Gnome it's my staple OS so to speak. I've tinkered with other distros like slacker, openSUSE, fedora etc... I just don't think I know anywhere enough yet and I'm hoping you will be able to enlighten me. Particularly I'm looking for the "ideal" OS and desktop environment to use on a PC I recently built for cheap. It is going to be a media server mostly but I will likely store more than that on it occasionally. So here are the specs of the machine. Let me know if you want anymore information.

Memory: 3 gigs SDRAM
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 at 2.20GHz x 2
    Graphics GeForce 7050/nforce 610i/integrated/SSE2
    Disk: 500GB

I look forward to reading your opinions and suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Hello and Welcome to LFO. We're certainly excited to have you here. You know something, your post describes about half the members here and the other half just won't admit it but we're all PC parts "Hoarders".

I'd say dive off the deep end and try Debian, Slackware and Gentoo (My ideal OS) . If you still feel you don't know enough after that then you probably should go to college or something.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a horder too. I still have my old Kaypro II computer, 286,386,486, etc, and all of them still work. The wife has "suggested" I get rid of some of them soon, so will have to thin the heard.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello and Welcome to LFO. We're certainly excited to have you here. You know something, your post describes about half the members here and the other half just won't admit it but we're all PC parts "Hoarders".

I'd say dive off the deep end and try Debian, Slackware and Gentoo (My ideal OS) . If you still feel you don't know enough after that then you probably should go to college or something.

Thanks for the insight, I'm in college currently so maybe with the 2 combined I'll learn enough lol.

I was considering Debian or Linux Mint. I'm looking for something lightweight and preferably doesn't use KDE. Also it's going to be accessed by some machines with Windows OS and so I'm planning on using Samba, but to my knowledge Samba will work on just about any distro.

For light weight, try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. If you want Debian, add the LXDE or XFCE desktop, both are lighter than KDE or Gnome.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by CanesFan View Post

Memory: 3 gigs SDRAM
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 at 2.20GHz x 2
    Graphics GeForce 7050/nforce 610i/integrated/SSE2
    Disk: 500GB
    Hi , your machine is strong enough for any distro and window manager, you can opt for the lighter ones but you dont have to.
    All distros can be used as a simple server, all you need to do is install the proper packages, so set up your desktop to anything you like and turn it into a server later. You my like:
    Mint (based in ubuntu)
    Debian (gnome 2, not much eye candy but rock solid and lots of software available)
    Centos and Scientific (based on RedHat, but more server-oriented, like Debian)
    Fedora (RedHat based, more eye candy, the last version seems to have some issues)
    Mageia (KDE or Gnome3, it has become very popular on Distrowatch)

These I have tried and stayed on Mageia.

Good luck

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you like the idea of Debian but want bleeding edge software then try Siduction.

Linux kernel 3.7.4 anyone?

$ uname -a
    Linux illyria 3.7-4.towo-siduction-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 22 07:02:01 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I use the XFCE edition but the Razor QT edition also looks great while being very lightweight.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Welcome aboard!
    Since you're familiar with Ubuntu, Debian would do you quite nicely. All of the commands that you know and love will still apply.
    Using the Testing repos will keep you up to date, but not quite bleeding-edge.
    If the latest and greatest is more your style, then Debian Sid might work. elijas suggestion of Siduction is spot on for this.

And then you have Slack, Gentoo, Arch and CRUX. Any of these will run like greased lightning on your hardware.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.