Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone, right now I am stuck deciding between two computers I have found used for the the same price: (NOTE: I now realize the HP is free ship whereas ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop Decision

Hi everyone, right now I am stuck deciding between two computers I have found used for the the same price: (NOTE: I now realize the HP is free ship whereas the MSI would be $25 shipped. So is the MSI worth $25 more?)

HP DM1-3210US
    1.6GHz AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350
    AMD Radeon HD 6310M with up to 1461MB Shared
    3GB RAM

VS

MSI X400
    1.3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Intel® GMA 4500MHD
    2GB RAM

Which would have better performance? I am not out for do serious gaming on either machine, but I figure if I like both, they are in good condition, and the same price, why not get the better performer.
    Last edited by ATXZerg; 01-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Since gaming is no concern, I'd personally go for the MSI.
    With general purpose computers, I tend to like Intel chipsets, as there is never any need to install/update other drivers for them.
    The HP also wants to share near 1.5 GB of the 3 GB of system RAM, so you'd see no real performance improvement from the additional memory.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-28-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input. My question is this: Will the AMD work? As in, are the drivers that need to be installed just non-open source?

In total, the MSI is $45 more because the auction I was looking at ended, and I am trying to sell miscellaneous stuff to have enough money for either, so if there isn't really too much of a difference, I may get the HP just on the grounds of it being cheaper. I also lean towards it 11.6" screen opposed to a larger 14". It's going to be a school laptop after all and I prefer the chiclet keyboard. I would like to be able to play Dustforce and Torchlight on either machine if possible but am satisfied with emulators, FreeCiv, other small games if it's unplayable.

The Radeon will work. Most mainstream distros have drivers either installed, or easily obtained. If you happen to need to install them, they are proprietary but available.
    And since you mention it being for school, the smaller screen does make the HP look more attractive.

To be honest, either will work quite well. So if budget is the deciding feature, go for the HP.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Alright thank you very much. One final question: I've never really dealt with a computer with more than 4GB of ram, but I do have a 4GB RAM stick I can throw in the HP by removing the 1GB (the HP has a 2GB and 1GB stick) and putting the 4GB in there... however, I know you need 64 bit WINDOWS to use more than 4GB. What about Linux? Also the HP comes with Windows 7 64Bit... does that mean I should be using Linux 64 Bit as well?

If it's useful, I intend to use Linux Mint Cinnamon.

64-bit isn't really needed unless you plan on using more than 4 gigs of memory, or need specific features of a 64-bit application.
    And even then, you can re-compile the kernel at a later date to utilize higher amounts of RAM.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I do plan on having a total of 6GB of RAM inside the HP.
    Is there a negative impact on performance or stability from installing 64 bit?

Not at all. Even with 2 or 3 GB of memory, you won't have any kind of performance degradation. If you already plan on having a larger amount of RAM installed, you might as well go for the 64-bit OS.
    The beauty of it is that you'll still be able to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit platform, if you need to do so.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Alright, thank you so much for all the help Jay. I have to admit, the darn thing looks stylish too!

787993.jpg

Also found a video on disassembly... tool-less access to HDD and RAM... the bottom plate slides off... no pulling and breaking tabs. This is looking better and better

Indeed, nice looking piece of hardware. Good luck on it. Once you get your mitts on it, don't hesitate to post any questions or issues that might pop up with it.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast