Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hi, I am new to Linux. I have used Ubuntu, OpenSUSE. Now intend to migrate Linux 9. Need your suggestion. I am a windows geek....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Hi I am Generator.

Hi,
    I am new to Linux. I have used Ubuntu, OpenSUSE. Now intend to migrate Linux 9. Need your suggestion. I am a windows geek.

Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

Just a note - you don't need all the fancy fonts and text (especially when you specify a proprietary font) everyone has a voice here that can heard equally.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    I am new to Linux. I have used Ubuntu, OpenSUSE. Now intend to migrate Linux 9. Need your suggestion.
    Hello and welcome aboard!

Then you should install the distribution of your choice and if you run into any problems, start new threads with any details for each issue. We'd be happy to help solve them if we can.

Good luck on the new install...
    oz

Just Joined!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

Just a note - you don't need all the fancy fonts and text (especially when you specify a proprietary font) everyone has a voice here that can heard equally.
    I just like this style so I am using this, but if it is annoying you, let me know. I will change this.

oz
    forum.guy
    I just like this style so I am using this, but if it is annoying you, let me know. I will change this.
    Most members don't like it, and doing it is generally considered bad etiquette so you might find that some users will ignore your posts and not offer you any help or feedback:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tml#post496015
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I am new to Linux. I have used Ubuntu, OpenSUSE. Now intend to migrate Linux 9. Need your suggestion. I am a windows geek.
    If your looking for a desktop experience, here is a little advice. As a windows user, you may want to try out Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu. KDE has general similarities with Windows. I believe OpenSUSE is using KDE, so you have seen one version. Where as the Gnome desktop has a similar feel to the MacOS. The current Ubuntu experience uses Unity. It's like, well, Android? IOS?

There are many different desktop environments. Most distributions let you load any number of other desktop environments and let you switch between them at logon.
    WmRobt likes this.

Just Joined!

Arrow

OK. Now I am using Windows 8 and OpenSUSE 12.04 alongside. I decided to remove OpenSUSE (as it crashed and having partition issue with windows) and install Redhat Linux 9. Will it be OK?
    BTW I obeyed you @oz and @Roxoff. And I am very happy finding this forum very responsive.

OK. Now I am using Windows 8 and OpenSUSE 12.04 alongside. I decided to remove OpenSUSE (as it crashed and having partition issue with windows) and install Redhat Linux 9. Will it be OK?
    BTW I obeyed you @oz and @Roxoff. And I am very happy finding this forum very responsive.
    RHL 9 costs money, install the free alternative that RH produces (Fedora), instead. Fedora is a good distro, IMO, to get you off the ground in the Linux world, good amount of support, repos which are towards the edge in terms of date, etc. So I think if you want RH, your best bet is Fedora.

oz
    forum.guy
    Red Hat 9 is almost 10 years old, so is therefor long outdated and obsolete. If you want Red Hat, I'd recommend installing one if its clones such as CentOS.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    RHL 9 costs money, install the free alternative that RH produces (Fedora), instead. Fedora is a good distro, IMO, to get you off the ground in the Linux world, good amount of support, repos which are towards the edge in terms of date, etc. So I think if you want RH, your best bet is Fedora.
    RH9 != RHEL6. As oz says, RH9 is very old and is now fully obsolete, it was released March 31, 2003. After RedHat9, the distribution morphed into Fedora Core, and at about the same time RedHat released their Enterprise Linux platform with (reasonably costly for home users) support package.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast