Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just a heads up that according to the article linked below, some Samsung Laptop users could damage their machines by booting Linux: Booting Linux using UEFI can brick Samsung laptops ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Exclamation ALERT: Booting Linux using UEFI can brick Samsung laptops

Just a heads up that according to the article linked below, some Samsung Laptop users could damage their machines by booting Linux:

Booting Linux using UEFI can brick Samsung laptops - The H Open: News and Features
    oz

Just Joined!
    Wouldn't your warranty cover that? Surely you're allowed to do what you want with your own hardware and their hardware is at fault, not the end user.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpock View Post
    Wouldn't your warranty cover that? Surely you're allowed to do what you want with your own hardware and their hardware is at fault, not the end user.
    Don't know, but I'm guessing it would depend on how the warranty is worded regarding such mishaps and/or hazards.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I've been curious about the legalities of the UEFI. Isn't this an illegal monopoly move by Microsoft? The Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1890 should make this action by Microsoft illegal, shouldn't it?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpock View Post
    Sorry, but warranty should be a last resort. This should not happen in the first place.
    I support a safe boot process, but this is not the way to go.

@blaincirk: US is not 'the world' I don't know of laws that explicitly disallow such behaviour, although I strongly doubt that a 120+ year old law can cover specific problems we face with UEFI. Further more, if you have read the article, you can see this is not because of Microsoft but a kernel driver problem that is wrongly implemented by Samsung. (just to make things clear, I probably like MS as much as you do (being 0 on a scale from 1 to 10), but won't take every opportunity to bash them).

Linux User
    The last time I sent a netbook in to Samsung with a Dual Boot Win/Linux disk, they fixed it without question.
    (OK, so they replaced the motherboard and never made sure all the connectors were connected, but I opened it and connected everything myself to save time. Also, I was more than happy with it since the warranty had probably just expired, so didn't want to push my luck too far.)
    That was in UK.

Samsung do recognise that Linux exists, only they don't support it. So unless they are becoming very fussy/nit-picky, they should replace it under warranty because it's a Samsung fault. The problem may be getting through to them that it is their fault, irrespective of whether it has Linux on it or not!
    Seems like Samsung like using solutions that aren't properly tested and even have problems with their smartphone updates running Android.

From what I've read, the problem is not so much samsung, as a bad driver issue in the kernal.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux User
    From what I've read, the problem is not so much samsung, as a bad driver issue in the kernal.
    Perhaps, but even when Samsung are made aware of this, they drag their heels in implementing the bug-fixed version.
    The other gripe with Samsung is their standard response is: Have you tried a factory reset?
    Backing up everything on a Smartphone is a pain and on a computer a nuisance if you dual/multi boot or use custom partitioning - all for something that you know isn't going to fix the problem.

[Off Topic]
    Also, why is it that all Samsung's smartphone tools are windows based when the OS is essentially Linux? Is it to discourage novice Linux users from playing around with the phone?

Latest update Oz.

Protection against Samsung UEFI bug merged into Linux kernel - The H Open: News and Features

On Thursday morning, Linus Torvalds merged two changes into the main Linux development tree which mean that the samsung-laptop kernel driver will no longer be activated when Linux is booted via UEFI (1, 2). This should resolve the problem of some Samsung laptops being irreparably damaged when Linux is booted using UEFI. The does not, however, mean that the danger is past, as there appear to be other ways in which the sensitive firmware can be disrupted.
    The article ends with though

However, there do appear to be other ways of knocking the UEFI firmware on some Samsung laptops off balance. Jakob Heinemann has emailed The H's associates at heise open to report that he is no longer able to access the UEFI setup on his NP300E5C after creating UEFI boot entries for booting a Linux installation installed in BIOS mode. According to his analysis, entries for calling the UEFI setup get overwritten because one of the UEFI firmware's functions returns a value which is not in accordance with the UEFI specification.
    what a mess.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the update on that, roky!

It sounds like a smart move by the kernel dev's to me.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast