Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I switched to using Fedora full time for the first time in years and used Linux exclusively. Well, a few months later the time came where I needed Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Verdict: Windows is boring!

Hey, I switched to using Fedora full time for the first time in years and used Linux exclusively. Well, a few months later the time came where I needed Windows for certain tasks that wasn't available on Linux and Wine wasn't an option and do you know what? I was terribly bored! It just worked and there was nothing for me to do. ATI drivers, software installation, and so on; it was all straight forward and took a matter of minutes to do what I wanted to do. I sat there and thought to myself... What could I do? What could I experiment and tinker with? And there was nothing! No messing with yum, no installing dependencies (apart from .net), no gui to tinker with, no bash scripts to write. The verdict is that Windows is completely boring. Anybody else had a similar experience?

Do I detect a certain amount of sarcasm? Yes, Windows is boring, but not because it "just works". Windows is boring even when it doesn't work (which is quite often) because the fix is either a registry hack, which you have to follow blindly without knowing what you're doing, or "Just reinstall." Either way, you never learn anything.

Linux "just works" a lot of the time. I've never had any problems with dependencies because most package managers install them automatically. But there's always something new to learn about how the software actually works because it's all so well documented.

I wouldn't like to go back to Windows for any money!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I made the full switch about 9 months ago and would never go back. I have to use Windows half of the time at work and Unix the other half. I have been trying to get my parents to use Linux so I don't have to "fix" their computers all the time. They love to get viruses, they read and open every email even if they have no clue who its from. If they weren't in their 60's I might be able to convince them. It took like a year to teach my mom how to email and browse the web. I could only imagine how long it would take to teach them a new OS.

There is only one thing I can't do on Linux that I could do on Windows. (There is a way I just have not sat down and learned how yet.)

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Windows? Boring? Purleez!

Consider installing software...

On Linux use repository.

On Windows. Find software on random Internet site. Download it and remember where. Extract and run installer, hoping that it doesn't contain a nasty that my virus scanner and malware scanner misses. Or that my virus scanner hasn't already been disabled by a previous nasty. Assuming a successful installation, I have to hope that the software isn't quietly sending my bank account details to the author (which to be fair seems to rarely happen) as I usually can't check the source code to make sure it doen't.

Adrenaline rush right there!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpock View Post
    The verdict is that Windows is completely boring. Anybody else had a similar experience?
    I try really hard to never use Windows any more than absolutely necessary (even at the workplace), but as for the topic of this thread, I personally think of Windows as terribly expensive, difficult to learn, use, and understand, and in my experience it has been quite unstable for the most part. However, I've never thought of it as particularly boring. That all said, I'm not knocking it in the least, and do hope that it continues to be available for anyone that enjoys using it. I'll try to pay more attention to my inner-self in the future to see if perhaps boredom is trying to creep in under Windows.
    oz

Durn. I'm not bored. I can't even get Windows 6,7.or 8 to boot up and install and run half decent on this

Code:
    sh-4.1# inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 2.6.33.2 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.4.3) Desktop: JWM sn-493 Distro: unknown
    Machine:   System: IBM (portable) product: 26474MU
               Mobo: IBM model: 26474MU Bios: IBM version: 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date: 10/18/2006
    CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III CPU - M (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (pae sse) bmips: 2397.66 clocked at 1198.834 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: S3 SuperSavage IX/C SDR bus-ID: 01:00.0 
               X.org: 1.7.6 drivers: savage (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
    Audio:     Card: Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: Intel ICH ports: 1c00 18c0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.21
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller 
               driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 6400 bus-ID: 02:08.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 07:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST980815A size: 80.0GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 2.6G (20%) fs: ext3 ID: swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: 44.0C 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A fan-1: 0 
    Info:      Processes: 89 Uptime: 1:33 Memory: 263.9/1010.2MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.4.3 Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 1.8.34 
    sh-4.1#
    Geee Whizzz RetroSpock. Ya got a way to get Windows running (for gods sake don't say XP, 98,95,etc......... I wanna run a modern operating system on my retro hardware)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

The fact that I personally don't like MicroSoft doesn't make me think anything bad about it. I don't think it's boring. I like Windows XP and I have no problem sitting down to a Win7 machine.
    If you're careful about what you're doing, then Windows will 'just work'. Without any major problems at all.
    But the same stands true for Linux. Care has to be taken.

My main gripe is this... And I've said it before.
    It's easier for an experienced Windows user to bork a system than it is for a total Linux Noob.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    The fact that I personally don't like MicroSoft doesn't make me think anything bad about it. I don't think it's boring. I like Windows XP and I have no problem sitting down to a Win7 machine.
    In full agreement here...

For me, Win2K and WinXP were perhaps the best releases that Microsoft has ever had. In fact, I only stopped using Win2K at work when it would no longer accept the graphics cards that I installed in a few computers. Two of those machines now run WinXP while two others run Win7. I'd probably still be running Win2K in all of them if it would work with the current hardware. I never did get around to trying Vista, and most likely will never try Win8. In fact, I'm seriously considering installing Linux on all work computers even though it has been suggested that Windows is a requirement.

Regarding boredom, I won't say that I've never been bored while on the job, but any experienced didn't seem to be stemming from the use of Windows.
    oz

I did not find the BSOD or registry tweaking (both W2k) boring -- just a tedious form of job security until the burn-out.
    Au contraire, ˇWindows es canalla!