Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by MikeTbob Also if a package gets misloaded onto my truck I do not need a map, I can just turn on my GPS and use cellular navigation. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Also if a package gets misloaded onto my truck I do not need a map, I can just turn on my GPS and use cellular navigation.
    Sorry for going off topic a bit here, but unfortunately, I'm not even enjoying the latest GPS device that I recently purchased. A number of years back, I bought my first Garmin GPS and it worked great. It was like the neatest thing to come along since sliced bread, and I had relatively no complaints about it. Then, just less than a year ago I was about to take a long trip and ran across a good deal on a newer, supposedly improved model, so I jumped on it. Ouch... big mistake!

While the screen on the new device is a good bit wider, and it does give additional info such as current speed limits and such, the improvements end there. First off, the device took me hundreds of miles off course from my destination so I ended up having to use a paper map to get back on track. Then, the vocal driving instructions that it puts out are nowhere near as clear and audible as those on the older unit regardless of the volume level.

One night, while stressed in very heavy traffic on a super highway in a big city, the thing started beeping a new sound almost non-stop that turned out to be caused by multiple ads being sent to the device from a number of nearby businesses. Who would have ever thought that I'd need Adblock Plus installed on a GPS device?

Don't know... there might be a way to install better maps, disable the incoming ads, and implement a better speaker, but rather than fool with it, I simply shelved that device and went back to the older but much better unit that took me directly to the point of interest, never spewed out a single ad, and the vocal driving directives are loud and clear.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Same here. If it happens to have an alarm clock, great.
    I really miss my old Nokia 5160.
    Nice phone for sure... My first ever cell phone was the Motorola 3200:

ZL3.me :: Review: Motorola International 3200 GSM Phone

It was great, but too big, heavy, and expensive. Don't know, I might even have it boxed up somewhere, or maybe I gave it away.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    In my opinion, that's different. You're using it for business reasons, contacting customers or clients. It's to be expected that you would use it for something like that.
    But what about on your own personal time? Do a lot of messaging then?
    Yes sir, even on my days off I am sending/receiving tons of sms messages. I don't really like talking on the phone, being hearing impaired and all.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 02-04-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: typo
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't really like talking on the phone, being hearing impaired and all.
    I can certainly see that as a very good reason for preferring text messaging vs vocal phone discussion.

I don't type though, voice to text (Android) is your best friend when you are in a hurry like me.
    Yeah, there will undoubtedly be a huge boost in computer and phone texting usage once everybody capable of doing so can use their voice to handle such operations. I suppose keyboards will have to remain available for those that can't speak unless something better takes their place.
    Last edited by oz; 02-04-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added bit about voice vs keyboard
    oz

I don't really like talking on the phone, being hearing impaired and all.
    Then that doesn't make you a texting addict... it makes you their target audience.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Somehow, I get this feeling that as long as the mobile phone companies are staying busy raking in plenty of cash. none of them will be in agreement with medical professionals that there is such a thing as an addiction to their services.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2