Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
The acronyms stand for Mobile Phone Addiction and Instant Message Addiction ... do any of you feel like you might possibly be an addict to either of those services? Cell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

MPA / IMA: are you an addict?

The acronyms stand for Mobile Phone Addiction and Instant Message Addiction... do any of you feel like you might possibly be an addict to either of those services?

Cell phone dependence

I don't believe either would apply to me because I rarely carry my mobile phone and it gets used no more than about once or twice per month. Even then, it's only for a few minutes. That said, I wonder if a forum such as this one counts as "instant messaging" even though the communications are not always highly instant? Perhaps that relates more to Internet Addiction. Either way, when I get a chance to be away from phones, computers, and forums, I actually enjoy that freedom and don't miss any of them one bit, so I don't think that I'd qualify as an addict on any of them, but then I'm not a medical professional qualified to determine such things.

What about the rest of you?
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    No.

e-mail on rhe other hand
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Nope... no problem here.
    I have a dumb-phone. And I don't even have MMS activated on it.
    Other than using an IM client on my computer, none of that for me, thanks.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    e-mail on rhe other hand
    Haven't heard of an email addiction before... is that sending, receiving, or both?

I get a few emails in now and then (notices and alerts type stuff mostly), but rarely send any out. In fact, I stopped installing Thunderbird long ago and started using webmail only since I deal with so few emails going in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Other than using an IM client on my computer, none of that for me, thanks.
    Regarding instant messaging services, I've tried some of them a few times (even the IRC channels) but can't seem to stick with them for more than about 30 minutes to an hour because I start feeling tied down. Forums such as this one are about as "instant" as I'm likely to ever get.

Don't know, but I'm thinking that a lot of mobile phone users and instant messengers might be surprised that some medical professionals consider them to be addicts.
    oz

Yes!
    Kthnxbye!
    I send anywhere from 50 to 150 text (SMS) messages per day. I don't type though, voice to text (Android) is your best friend when you are in a hurry like me.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I'm with you one this, oz... A forum is the limit of the social network for me.
    Most of the time, I just use the built-in Google chat plug-in. But I have used Pidgin to keep in touch with folks who didn't have Gmail.
    But I can say this... Some folks really are addicted to the whole 'smart-phone/constant connection' craze.I grew up in a drug infested ghetto, and the need for the next Twitter update is similar to the need for another fix.

It's kinda scary, in my opinion.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Yes!
    Kthnxbye!
    I send anywhere from 50 to 150 text (SMS) messages per day. I don't type though, voice to text (Android) is your best friend when you are in a hurry like me.
    I'm not sure if that is considered a lot these days, but it does seem like a lot when I've not sent out more than half a dozen total, in my entire lifetime. I've received maybe 3 or 4, too, but think I finally have all that disabled on my phone. I'm one of those that wants a phone that only makes and receives phone calls, and nothing else, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find such phones anymore.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I'm one of those that wants a phone that only makes and receives phone calls, and nothing else, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find such phones anymore.
    Same here. If it happens to have an alarm clock, great.
    I really miss my old Nokia 5160.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

It's not a good day for me when I forget me Cellphone at home, I have many work related numbers I call during the day. I try to call ahead and let some of my delivery customers that I am en route so they will have the door open and waiting for me. Some of them will text me to let me know they have no outgoing shipment for that day, thus saving me time driving over there for nothing. Also if a package gets misloaded onto my truck I do not need a map, I can just turn on my GPS and use cellular navigation.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

In my opinion, that's different. You're using it for business reasons, contacting customers or clients. It's to be expected that you would use it for something like that.
    But what about on your own personal time? Do a lot of messaging then?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast