Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am a new member here so I thought it time to raise my head above the parapet and take the plunge. My name is Gary and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Time to lift my head up!

Hi All,

I am a new member here so I thought it time to raise my head above the parapet and take the plunge.
    My name is Gary and I am semi-retired. I am a former Police Inspector having served 28 years before medical retirement 10 years ago (Crikey, is it that long?) I will be 60 next birthday.

My computing history started in the days of the ZX80/ZX81 and Sinclair Spectrum era and, because I could type, I plumped for a Dragon 32 with a full size qwerty keyboard and a Motorola 6809 CPU. My first game for it being Donkey Kong!
    In the following years I cut my computing teeth so to speak by upgrading the Dragon with a home built RS232 Interface (thanks Maplin), additional memory, re-programmed the EEPROM with an updated OS, built a HDD interface for the cartridge port and eventually bought my first 20Mb HDD for about 200!
    My force supported me in doing an HNC in computer studies and I used the Dragon and an enormous 300 baud BT modem to upload my assignments to the college computer.
    I then used my 'talents'?? to teach our Command & Control system, introduce people to the wonders of Microsoft Office whilst at the same time ditching my Dragon for an Atari ST. I remained a 'PC phobe' for many years until the Atari died a death and was no longer supported. PC's were the flavour at work so a home PC was inevitable.
    Over the years I have become more of a user than a tinkerer and thanks to an ageing desktop PC and a chance conversation with a Red Hat qualified engineer, I installed Linux Mint on my old AMD desktop PC. I still only 'tinkered' with Linux until recently, when another chance conversation with a friend made me sit up and take notice. He was running Puppy Linux on an ageing 1996 IBM Thinkpad which booted up in seconds and I listened as he told me what he could do on this 'past it' machine.
    I came home, Installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the desktop and here I am! I am like a kid with a new toy, just like in the Dragon days, looking forward to getting my hands dirty or seeing what this OS can do.
    So, life begins at nearly 60!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Dragon 32 eh? Very swish! I started on VIC20 and also migrated to an Atari ST (which I still think is the best computer I ever had). You have wandered into a friendly community here so enjoy your new toy. Unlike some other toys, you can break this one and learn by fixing it
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome aboard, Gary!

We're glad you've joined us and hope that you'll have lots of fun with Linux.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Dragon 32 eh? Very swish!
    Indeed. I could never get on with those rubber keys on the spectrum

I started on VIC20 and also migrated to an Atari ST (which I still think is the best computer I ever had).
    I have to say I agree. The Vic20 and after that the Commodore 64 were great machines for their time. I remember being very envious of the sound chips which is why I went over to the Atari with it's built in Midi Ports. It got me started in my love of making computer music and I had it hooked up to my digital piano. To think the first version of Cubase was launched on the Atari ST! I am now building a powerful PC so I can use my favourite DAW, Sonar X2 Producer, to its fullest extent. My Home studio is also slowly developing!

You have wandered into a friendly community here so enjoy your new toy. Unlike some other toys, you can break this one and learn by fixing it
    Yes, I have read some of the threads here and must say it reminds me of my Cakewalk forum where everyone seems keen to pass on their knowledge to newcomers. Let's hope I can get to the stage where I can give others a leg up with Linux!!

Thanks Oz. I sure hope so - it's looking good so far.

Hello and Welcome!
    Sounds like you're a long-time computer tinkerer. Linux is just the right toy for those who like to fiddle around with their system.
    Have fun with it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    Howdy and Welcome. Hold yer head up high. You got more experience than me with computers though we are the same age. It's fun breaking computers for me. But I am a bull in a china cabinet mostly
    compared to other members here. You'll like it here.

Happy trails, Rok

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have another gray haired user. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Thanks all for your kind words. I will do my best not to ask too many dumb questions!!

As for my grey hair, I'm afraid there is very little of it left! What there is, is hardly worth cutting!! AND, before I am through with this Linux thing I am sure my hair will be even greyer!

Cheers all

Gary

Don't worry... we all had a few goofy questions, at first.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.