Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by retired1af A couple of us got to rough housing and started throwing a nerf ball all over the place. lol... yep, people often don't think about the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af View Post
    A couple of us got to rough housing and started throwing a nerf ball all over the place.
    lol... yep, people often don't think about the problems that can result from a bit of innocent old-fashioned horseplay, and we've probably all been guilty of doing it a time or two, but glad to hear the chewing out was all that happened to you.
    oz

Okay this happened with my first job as fresher. I was asked to login to a production server and check for logs everyday. I got a root password,everyday morning I login to check the logs. Its went fine. After a month or so , its someelse turn to check for logs -He called me said , I can't login as root into system. I told "Yes, you can I was doing that for a month" . Then I found, I was logging into some remote- development server for a month and checking the logs not production machine haha...that was really embrassing.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Mine has not arrived yet. I purchased a 64gig sata zif cable ssd drive for my M&A companion Netbook which actually is advertised as taking a pata zif platter/ssd drive.
    If bios does not see it. I just wasted $75.00. I did not pay enough attention to the description of the drive I bought. Sata was mentioned in a paragraph sentence as a
    adjective, instead of as a outlined 1,2,3 description.

eg: this sata drive. I hope i did not screw the pooch on this one. Been booting off of external flash card on that netbook.

I lucked out. It came in tonight and I installed it in the netbook. 64gig SSD zif drive. Bios sees the drive and Puppy sees it in Gparted. AntiX 13 Beta 1 i486 is going on it for now (tomorrow project).
    So the ebay chinese crap shoot has worked out for me so far.

You'll like this screwup better maybe. I was trying to unplug a cast iron sink pipe drain with a garden hose and one of the swelling bladders that screw on the end that turn the water into a high speed
    water stream in the pipe. The wife asked me to go to Odessa Tx with her to go shopping. I forgot to turn the hose off. You can see where this is going.

I came home to a flooded house with about 2 inches of water through the whole hospital (my place is a old WW2 Hospital. Then it was the clinic in the 50's and 60's in Pecos TX).
    I had some laptops laying on the floor that had water getting in through the pcmcia slots. I salvaged one Amrel and dumpstered some others.
    Lucky all my Desktop stuff is elevated off the floor.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    That's a big bummer for sure, roky!

I guess you've learned your lesson the hard way with that one and will know the next time to be sure and say "no friggin way" when she asks you to go shopping.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    hey roky, if you have home insurance it wouldn't hurt to check with your agent to see if any of the damage is covered.
    oz

Back in the early '90s, right at the start of the home revolution, I had a small side business building systems for people before Dell and Gateway came along and put me out of business. At the time pretty much the only prebuilt desktops you could get were very expensive business machines. There was a big cottage industry of guys like me. About every two weeks there'd be a trade show somewhere around town where you could get anything. I'd take my clients in and go: "Ok, for what you want to do you need to buy this CPU, MoBo, tower, PSU, office suite, game, monitor, etc, etc". Then I'd take it all home and build it out for a nominal fee. It put a little money in my pocket and let me play with toys that I couldn't afford to buy.

Well, one guy wanted a top end gaming machine. So I told him to go with a top end $375 Intel. (For those of you too young to understand inflation that would be about $1000 today.) And a really spiffy hobby MoBo with lots of onboard configuration features.

Back then you didn't get a 15 page hi-gloss pamplet with your MoBo that tells you more about the board than you ever wanted to know. No, you got a cheesy, blurry page about the size of sheet of legal paper that looked like it had been run on an old hand-cranked memograph with a bad drum.

And, when they were talking about things like burning out components with static electricity by mishandling them it was stated as: "Beware the electricity demon"!

Well I was wary of the ol' electricity demon. What I did not catch though was that the diagram of the board was so crappy, fuzzy, blurry, low res and lacking in detail that it "looked right" both upside down AND right side up. AND IT WAS PRINTED ON THE SHEET UP SIDE DOWN!

So when I compared the pattern on the diagram to the board to set the core voltage jumpers I ended up setting the board for a core voltge configuration that did not exist.

And that $375 Intel chip went pop, literally, there was a loud pop, and the smell of $375 worth of silicone going up in smoke.

Of cource I had to eat the $375 and get him a new chip.

I also had a guarantee for how long it would take me to assemble / configure / deliver a system.

So, of course, these chips were selling like hot cakes and nobody could get me another one for three more weeks.

Since I missed the delivery deadline I had to eat the assembly fee as well. And since this was a high-end system with lots of custom configuration in it I was charging him $150 to build it.

In todays dollars, all in all, I was out about $1500 plus being tied up with fixing this mess when I should have been building other stuff and losing money because I wasn't.

oz
    forum.guy
    ouch... good documentation means everything and is invaluable in those complicated and/or expensive situations. I hate it when accompanying documentation is so lousy that you'd probably be better off with none at all!
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2