Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys, what was the biggest goof you've ever made on a computer system (if you aren't too embarrassed to reveal it) ? Mine was years ago, when I attached ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Just for fun, what was your biggest computer goof ever?

Hey guys, what was the biggest goof you've ever made on a computer system (if you aren't too embarrassed to reveal it) ?

Mine was years ago, when I attached a new hard disk to a system but did not properly install it. The hard drive was simply lying on the chassis of the computer case, and when I booted the system, it shorted out and fried the new hard disk.

An expensive lesson was learned that day.
    oz

When I was still a student, one of my first jobs was as a computer operator, I handled a mainframe with several companies data on it. The terminal consoles on that system were very slow to show what you have typed on them, so we just typed the commands and hit send and after a while it would show what we just typed.

Once during a very heavy inventory and sales process the system disk space was running low and the usual process was to delete some temp files with a command like del /company/tempfolder/* . So I typed the command and soon it showed del /company/* . Yep, all the company data was gone!. With cold sweats I got up from the terminal and went to tell my supervisor about it. Luckyly it was a standard procedure a weekend full backup plus incrementals and the begining and at the end of every shift. It took the whole night to reconstruct all the data and all the procesd were delayed one day. I still dont know how I didnt get fired .

Mine has not arrived yet. I purchased a 64gig sata zif cable ssd drive for my M&A companion Netbook which actually is advertised as taking a pata zif platter/ssd drive.
    If bios does not see it. I just wasted $75.00. I did not pay enough attention to the description of the drive I bought. Sata was mentioned in a paragraph sentence as a
    adjective, instead of as a outlined 1,2,3 description.

eg: this sata drive. I hope i did not screw the pooch on this one. Been booting off of external flash card on that netbook.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Some years ago:
    Went home on a sunday night from Oktoberfest, pretty much wasted.
    Was so drunk I couldnt sleep, because the floor was moving.
    So I decided: If you cannot sleep, you can as well continue working.
    Monday morning it turns out, I ssh jumped to the wrong machine and wrecked our company svn repository.
    My boss just said: You broke it, you fix it.
    Fixing is no fun with a headache.

Lesson learned: Dont drink and type
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Personally I have come home drunk and decided that it would be a good idea to re-compile my kernel. I then awoke to a computer that would not boot and no idea what I actually did. And when I say would not boot, that included previous kernels.

Did I learn my lesson? Heck no! I've done it at least three more times since then

Kids; don't drink and compile.

Professionally, the best I have seen is the IBM engineer who having fixed a hardware issue with the System 38, casually leant on the wall of the computer room. Right on the emergency power off button. This is a big red button, right by the door, that should only be pressed if you want to power off.. in an emergency. The silence of a computer room in that situation is extremely loud and short lived as the phones start ringing.

It took nearly 48 hours to IMPL that baby and the button was moved to be over the door!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Ouch... some of those goofs are fairly serious in nature!

Guess I was lucky to have only lost a new hard drive...
    oz

Installed a DAT drive in a server for backups. Then took several months of weekly full plus daily update backups ... After this I moved a file on my user home area, and restored a backup of it ... only to find the file was not restored. Several hours later worked out an earth fault on the tape drive prevented it from working but the backup software reported everything was OK. Luckily we did not have any failures, requests for restores or other genuine reason to need the backup Someone had suggested to me to wipe genuine data files off the server and do a restore ... I'm glad I went with my move a file and restore it option and have never trusted backup software when it tells me everything is OK since ... that's 15 to 20 years ago.

No doubt my biggest error was stupidly resizing my partitions and causing my hard drive to become unusable and losing everything that I had stored up for years in my computer.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    No doubt my biggest error was stupidly resizing my partitions and causing my hard drive to become unusable and losing everything that I had stored up for years in my computer.
    Oops... that's one of those times that it pays to have that 'system backup' on hand as is so often recommended on this forum and others. I actually keep two backups on two different hard drives for each of my systems and data just in case a backup should fail for some reason. Doing so has saved me from some really big headaches quite a number of times. Then of course there is TestDisk that can often be used to restore partition tables and save some data, but I personally prefer to put my faith in the system backup plan rather than count on data recovery.

It's always those hard lessons that are the best learned, but glad you are past all that now and running once again, cousin...
    oz

Linux Engineer
    Back in the "good ol' days" we had a Univac ICATS machine on the floor. The memory on these beasts was a 200 pound drum that revolved at a fairly high rate of speed. A couple of us got to rough housing and started throwing a nerf ball all over the place. I lobbed a high one, and the individual who went for it wasn't paying attention to where he was leaping. Yup, crashed into the main housing and crashed the memory drum. Luckily, there was a spare on the premises and we all got a royal chewing out. They could have really nailed us with loss of rank and pay.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast