Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
It's unlikely there will be a stand alone suite that's installable for Linux. What is more likely is something that allows Linux to access Office 365, which is their cloud ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

It's unlikely there will be a stand alone suite that's installable for Linux. What is more likely is something that allows Linux to access Office 365, which is their cloud based solution for Office.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Guru
    And the beat goes on.

CDW, a Fortune 500 technology solutions provider, recently partnered with Google to provide complete Chromebook offerings and support to its customers in the private and public sectors.
    Google Partners with Tech Solutions Leader CDW to Increase Chromebook Adoption | Chromebook Blog

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm more of a down to earth kind of guy and like to keep my data local rather than in the clouds but one day in the future there may be no choice. It might be time to moth-ball half a dozen, or so, working systems for when that day comes...
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Microsoft knows it's losing market share due to new computing devices diluting the market. I suspect they might be working on an all platform mobile distro of .net, sort of like java. Write an app in .net, and it runs on all your tablets, phones, and computers. These mobile .net apps will be integrated with the MS version of the 'google play store.' You'll pay $10/mo for business email accounts for this software, and some other recurring fee for the MS office suite.

PC sales are down. We have reached the plateau of desktop computing performance for business. MS needs to innovate new revenue streams if it wants to be a player 10 years from now.
    I think it's even more straightforward than this. Microsoft is a huge beast, and it has it's office arm and its operating system arm, and as the OS market expands, it is in danger of being left with competing requirements. Office wants (in fact, it needs) the widest reach it can have to maintain MSOffice at the top of the tree, yet the OS needs to maintain its dominance of the installed base on PCs.

As the OS market becomes more fragmented and broader based, the Office team will need to go with the times, or risk losing their place on the office PCs of the world.

Personally, I'd have no problem running MS Office on a Linux box. I use proprietary drivers for my video card, I don't see that it's quite so different. I'll always be wary of Microsoft's product direction and quality, but in a Linux world I know exactly how to clamp a user-space software package down.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thank you to the creator of this thread. A great list of articles.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    The last of the dinosaurs had a choice: Keep doing the same old thing and die out or adapt and become birds.
    True... it seems that we are continually being expected more and more these days to give over control of our personal info and data to someone else. I personally prefer to maintain as much control over my own stuff as possible, but as we go forward we might very well have to join in, or get out of the way.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    True... it seems that we are continually being expected more and more these days to give over control of our personal info and data to someone else. I personally prefer to maintain as much control over my own stuff as possible, but as we go forward we might very well have to join in, or get out of the way.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm all for "open source" software. As in I should be able to see the damn code so I know just exactly what it is I'm getting. And, unlike a lot of folks, I have no problem paying for good stuff. (As a matter of fact I'm about to install the Crossover 14 day trial and if it works as advertised I'll be glad to pay for it. Free Wine requires too much work on my end.)

But, my info is MINE! I agree with you that mothballing a few machines may be a good idea. I can easily see a day 20 years from now when the only prebuilt systems anybody is making are thin clients with a small flash drive for the boot loader / drivers / browser and everything else is "in the cloud". And I'll never go for that. Read some of the EULAs on that cloud crap sometime.

However, I'm also "paranoid" and according to DHS I'm a terrorist because I don't have and will NEVER have a facebook page.

A) I'm not that interesting. B) I'm not special enough to think anybody gives a crap about what I had for lunch.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    But, my info is MINE! I agree with you that mothballing a few machines may be a good idea. I can easily see a day 20 years from now when the only prebuilt systems anybody is making are thin clients with a small flash drive for the boot loader / drivers / browser and everything else is "in the cloud". And I'll never go for that. Read some of the EULAs on that cloud crap sometime.

However, I'm also "paranoid" and according to DHS I'm a terrorist because I don't have and will NEVER have a facebook page.

A) I'm not that interesting. B) I'm not special enough to think anybody gives a crap about what I had for lunch.
    I couldn't agree more.

The social networks are nothing but information and identity harvesters. At the moment they haven't done more than test the waters with with what I would consider slightly dodgy practices (Instagram for example) and in that case they backed down. All that tells me is they don't yet have enough information about enough people to do what ever they want. So who knows what they'll be able to do in the future.

And you thought that you were paranoid!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    ... All that tells me is they don't yet have enough information about enough people to do what ever they want. So who knows what they'll be able to do in the future.

And you thought that you were paranoid!
    Oh, no, I'm right there with, Trust me. I have a crystal ball and I know what's coming down the pipe.

The short version: Put Idiocracy and Minority Report through a blender and you'll have a pretty good idea of where we're headed.

Why do you think I'm working so hard to go from intermidate hobbiest to having a clue?
    MikeTbob likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast