Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I read this and smiled as it reminded me of a UEFI Hewlitt Packard thread by another member here and his opinion on Foss and UEFI. Any Hows. I guess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I read this and smiled as it reminded me of a UEFI Hewlitt Packard thread by another member here and his opinion on Foss and UEFI.

Any Hows. I guess Cnet and Hewlitt Packard made my ignore list

Microsoft Cranks Up FUD Machine FOSS Force

And it just keeps getting dirtier

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/16/m...e-transferred/

and more expensive also

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/29/m...remium-review/
    Last edited by rokytnji; 02-17-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I read this and smiled as it reminded me of a UEFI Hewlitt Packard thread by another member here and his opinion on Foss and UEFI.

Any Hows. I guess Cnet and Hewlitt Packard made my ignore list
    The last MS Office package that I purchased was Office 2K probably around 12 years ago but I can't even remember for sure exactly when because it was so long back. I have no intentions of purchasing anything more recent, and certainly won't ever be using any clouded apps that they come up with. I'll use free office suites, or maybe even resort to pencil and whatever there is left to write on rather than continue pouring money into their banking account.

It seems to me that MS is slowly but surely losing their grip on the computer world, but of course they could always rebound and they could do it brilliantly if they become as good at putting themselves out in the forefront as they once were!
    Last edited by oz; 02-19-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    The last MS Office package that I purchased was Office 2K probably around 12 years ago but I can't even remember for sure exactly when because it was so long back. I have no intentions of purchasing anything more recent, and certainly won't ever be using any clouded apps that they come up with. I'll use free office suites, or maybe even resort to pencil and whatever there is left to write on rather than continue pouring money into their banking account.

It seems to me that MS is slowly but surely losing their grip on the computer world, but of course they could always rebound and they could do it brilliantly if they become as good at putting themselves out in the forefront as they once were!
    I have used all of the free office programs and they are all good, if everyone you know or have to do business with uses the same thing. Calligra office will mangle an open office document, and vice versa, OO will mangle anything coming from MS Office, and none of them seem to like to open each others files very much. It is like everyone is trying to recreate the wheel a different way and NONE of them are doing it together or correctly.

I will continue to use MS Office because I am a student and my professors use it for their lectures, handouts, papers, etc... If I want to get through school easily, it is an essential tool.

In a perfect world, all office programs would open all office docs, but that will never happen. You have to use what suits you best, and if MS put Office on Linux, you can bet I would find a way to use it. I don't have enough time to mess with the incompatibilities that occur when not using it for school.

Your situation may be different.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Somethings up. Dell first made available a Ubuntu Laptop

Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition - with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS | Ubuntu

Now Microsoft has loaned Dell 2 Billion dollars as Dell is planning to go private.

Why Microsoft 'loaned' Dell $2 billion - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blogTerm Sheet

The world just keeps getting stranger and stranger. Time to call the Men In Black. Where is Will Smith when you need him.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy

How Microsoft will change forever and thrive again

While on the subject of Microsoft's business tactics and future, this article just out today describes how they plan to work their way back up the technology ladder:

How Microsoft will change forever and thrive again | Microsoft Windows - InfoWorld
    oz

I have been attending a state university in Indiana. They run Red Hat on their servers, while virtually every classroom has a computer running Windows connected to the projector and sound system. The computer labs have both Macs with OSX and PCs running Windows. A few classrooms in the science building run Linux. The university provides student software for PCs and Macs under enterprise licenses available for students while attending the university. They also have a limited selection of software for Linux, mostly written specifically for Red Hat Enterprise.

Most professors expect to have written assignments submitted electronically in either DOC or DOCX format. Additionally, most classes require at least one presentation. If you want a good grade for a presentation, you either need to have professional quality visual aids or make a Powerpoint presentation. They often want an electronic copy of that as well. I find that I can do everything I need for an academic paper in LibreOffice, and I have no problem opening, editing, and printing that document so long as I keep it in DOC format for Microsoft Office 98/XP. However, I could not make a compatible electronic presentation that would open properly in Powerpoint.

Many professions today require reports and presentations. In those jobs, you often need to take your work home or carry it around with you in a laptop. You can't show up to work with an incompatible document or presentation that you've written with a free program. You'll get fired. For academic and professional reasons, I would install a Linux version of Microsoft Office if it were available.

I can imagine Microsoft making an enterprise version available for Linux. This might be done through something worked out with Red Hat and other companies that market Linux for business. Enterprise versions of software require confirmation with the server that provides the software in order for it to work. The licensing expires, so that you must reconfirm with the server or install the updated version and confirm the new license.

The other possibility that I can imagine is that Microsoft has considered following the path of Apple by dropping the Microsoft kernel and tinkering with the Linux kernel. They would then use their libraries and Explorer to create a Microsoft desktop and window manager designed to run on their mangled version of the Linux kernel. From there, they may release Microsoft software that will run on Linux so long as you install their software and agree to the Microsoft license and register the software with Microsoft. You would then be required to use Microsoft Update in order for the software to continue to work.

It's nice to see MS consider Linux enough of a threat to consider releasing MS office to the Linux system.

Would i use it? No, if i want MS things i will run MS Windows in a dual-boot (as i already do).
    Not to be cynical but if its anything like what they provide Apple it won't be the latest Office, it will be the earliest version of office that at minimum keeps up compatibility with all MS office suites (Office 2010 most likely).

-------------------------------------------------------------
    @gruven:

Not sure about calligra office as i have never used it... But i use Libreoffice and i have never experienced any problems opening or saving to a doc or docx file format from libreoffice, nor had a problem opening or saving doc or docx in MS Office where the file was created in Libreoffice.

Admitably Openoffice has had its issues but it development and improvement has been rather sparse, so it really depends what Openoffice version your using. If your using a version (3.3.4 to 4.0 i believe) since apache has take over the project you should find it alot better.

Honestly for whats its worth they all do the same job.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @thomassisson:

Your idea/ speculation while it sounds interesting and might have benefits; i think it is highly unlikely that MS would create a Linux based OS for multiple different reasons. Just as it is that GNU would create an NT based OS (what i mean by that is GNU userland tools on the NT Kernel, not ReactOS).

- There main philosphies, goals and ideas are not intercompatible. MS is all about profit and meeting the market needs/ dominating that need.

- MS CEO views open source as a pain in the butt ("Cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." direct from the horses mouth Steve Ballmer) that was about the Linux Kernel and GNU GPL; it detracts from there goal and there ability to make money from the potential customers that use open source.

- GNU and most open source licencing requires (aside from CDDL & BSD) that what ever is contributed must be provided back; if its modified source it cannot be released under a licence not compatible with that sources GPL licence.

- Its highly probable that Linus himself would be against the idea, if he believed in the closed source model he would have created Linux under that model.

Those are just a view reasons i can think of as to why it wouldn't happen, and they are probably most core fundamental reasons for it not working. If the core creator of Linux and the head of MS have opposing opinions about each other, the chance of them working together is minimal, not factoring in the licencing model of each.

Its the same with Apple at the core, Apple is out to be what Microsoft has been for the past 2 decades; it recently has obtained that goal and wants to retain it. Sure they have had more of a relationship with open source, but only to maintain a good relationship as the core of there system is based partially on open-source, the rest is heavily guarded and you only see the source they want you too see (just like MS).
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 06-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.

I have had many issues using libre office since I am in college and we do a lot of stuff to our files, not to mention I have to use office 2013 for some of my classes, because for some reason Microsoft decides to fudge up compatibility between office releases.

Until my university or most businesses stop relying so much on MS Office, I will be using it.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Not being in school like you guys. I don't know if this will work or not

SoftMaker FreeOffice :: A full-featured office suite offered as a free download

I tried one install on Puppy Linux.] It worked OK for this biker shop needs. They want you to register and give a email but after that the download is free.
    It is wrapped up tight like Windows to get and install with a EULA. Maybe it works like Microsoft office though I can't say as I am not as involved as you school guys are or office workers punching a time clock.

Libreoffice works OK enough for my needs but I don't have to conform to what you guys have to deal with.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Not being in school like you guys. I don't know if this will work or not

SoftMaker FreeOffice :: A full-featured office suite offered as a free download

I tried one install on Puppy Linux.] It worked OK for this biker shop needs. They want you to register and give a email but after that the download is free.
    It is wrapped up tight like Windows to get and install with a EULA. Maybe it works like Microsoft office though I can't say as I am not as involved as you school guys are or office workers punching a time clock.

Libreoffice works OK enough for my needs but I don't have to conform to what you guys have to deal with.
    If I was not in school, then Calligra or Libre would be fine for me. I am just in a situation where MS Office is the best tool for the job because of compatibility and formatting.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast