Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
To anyone who can answer me Right now I am running Easy Peasy Linux I am trying to find the best Linux operating system that works with my system i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

whats the best linux system for a compaq presario v2000

To anyone who can answer me
    Right now I am running Easy Peasy Linux I am trying to find the best Linux operating system that works with my system i hope you can help me out and please explain why that system is the best for the computer I'm running thanks.

Linux Newbie
    Hello werewolfsin, welcome to the forums.

Regarding your question, usually Linux distros do not require a huge amount of hardware resources. Unlike his business competitors, you can run linux on many computers which resources are low.

Now, that being said and according to specs found online, your RAM amount is 256 MB. Hence, you may not want to run a full desktop environment distro as it may slow your system down unnecessarily.
    However, there is no such thing as "the best linux system" since that is subjective IMHO. I would tell you to try low sys requirements distros one by one (or a few of them) and stay with the one you like the most. I know of DSL (Damn Small Linux) but have never tried it. You could begin with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    Now, that being said and according to specs found online, your RAM amount is 256 MB. Hence, you may not want to run a full desktop environment distro as it may slow your system down unnecessarily.
    I have exactly the same amount of memory and I use AntiX. I can thoroughly recommend it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Also try Crunchbang and SliTaz, but AntiX is a good one.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    Hello werewolfsin, welcome to the forums.

Regarding your question, usually Linux distros do not require a huge amount of hardware resources. Unlike his business competitors, you can run linux on many computers which resources are low.

However, there is no such thing as "the best linux system" since that is subjective IMHO. I would tell you to try low sys requirements distros one by one (or a few of them) and stay with the one you like the most. I know of DSL (Damn Small Linux) but have never tried it. You could begin with that one.

actually i have 1g and 256 mb worth of ram Im trying to find a linux systems that works best with this computer that has the least amount of problems and easy to use but thanks for the reply

Is this it?

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 705 (1.5 GHz)
    Display: 14.0" WXGA BrightView Widescreen(1280x76
    Video Card: Intel(R) Extreme Graphics with productivity ports
    Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
    Hard Drive: 40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    CD/DVD Drive: 8X DVD Drive

You sound like a #! type of guy, go here -- http://crunchbang.org/

Just Joined!
    If it's still stock, you can run about any lightweight distro (Slitaz, Antix, WattOS, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc). If you max out the RAM (I think it's take 1 GHz) you can run about any distro you like but they'll be a little slow. I've got some 1.4 GHz desktops which have a half gig of RAM that run Xubuntu very nicely (and have no problem handling my favorite Gnome and KDE apps, like Gedit and Dolphin, as well).

This is all true PROVIDED the machine's video works with your chosen distro (which is becoming problematic on some older machines). Just run the distro as a live CD first; if the live CD runs ok, it should run even better installed.

It would be nice if members running Slitaz, Lubuntu Crunchbang would post their inxi reports like I do in Antix ti show how well their installed systems are running with the distro
    they are recommending.

Code:
    System:    Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M11-486 Jayaben Desai 01 May 2011
    CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache 256 KB flags (sse) bmips 1400.2 clocked at 700.103 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: S3 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV bus-ID: 00:04.0 X.Org 1.9.5 Res: 1024x768@60.0hz
               GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Savage/MX/IX 20061110 x86/MMX/SSE GLX Version 1.2 Mesa 7.10 Direct Rendering Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 82440MX AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH ports fd00 fcc0 bus-ID: 00:00.1
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
    Network:   Card Xircom Cardbus Ethernet 10/100 driver xircom_cb port 1000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
    Disks:     HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (7.5% used) 1: /dev/sda FUJITSU_MHT2040A 40.0GB
    Partition: ID:/ size: 35G used: 2.8G (9%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 2.18GB used: 0.03GB (2%) fs: swap
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: 44.0C
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes 90 Uptime 58 min Memory 90.3/184.7MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.95
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Don't have inxi installed as too much additional cruft is needed to take proper advantage of it and I can't be bovvered at the moment so in the mean time, until I get round to installing it all on this test rig, here is a screen shot of the memory / disk use etc of a lightweight VM. This is 64 bit and the 32 bit (IIRC) idles in about 75MB. The CPU % is a single core.

crunch.jpg

I keep thinking about installing this on my 8 core I7 with 8GB ram to see if I can open windows before I finish clicking on the menu item
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    If your looking for a distro on a small desktop try Lubuntu is Ubuntu down and also zorin os lite but like in the other posts at top that most linux doesn't take a lot of resources but try those good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast