Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have it emerging right now, it should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. I think this will be a good release. Any one else use KDE?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE 4.10 is out

I have it emerging right now, it should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. I think this will be a good release.
    Any one else use KDE?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    A number of Arch users had problems with this release, but it could be the Arch implementation of it rather than KDE itself. I have one box that runs KDE4 and updated it few days ago when 4.10 was first released but didn't notice any problems other than some of my configs got changed around a bit. I've not played with it at all other than updating to it, so don't know if there are other issues to be encountered, but I think it's probably a very good release, overall.

KDE4 is definitely improving over what it was those first few years!
    oz

I agree it gets better with every release. I think my biggest problem with KDE4 is that I'm not too sure how to use "Activities" and widgets in a good way. How do you guys use these actions?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I think my biggest problem with KDE4 is that I'm not too sure how to use "Activities" and widgets in a good way. How do you guys use these actions?
    I've looked at Activities a few times but have never found much use for that part of KDE4 so ended up leaving it alone. I should probably take another look to see if things have changed there and it might be useful to me at this stage in KDE4's development. I do run a few widgets, such as system monitors and a desktop pager, but being more on the minimalist end of the spectrum have no interest in the majority of them.

One of the things that bothers me most about KDE4 is the wasted space around the various desktop components. That's probably all configurable, but I usually go for WMs and DEs that are more streamlined by default. What I like most about KDE4 is the excellent applications that it comes with.

At some point in time, KDE4 could become my default environment again because it truly offers a nice package for those that want a full blown desktop environment. On the other hand, I've stopped updating my Gnome3 box and have in fact totally removed it from the hard drive. It's become so slow and clunky with the last few releases that it's no longer usable in my opinion. That box became one of my tiling window manager experimental machines.

Hope KDE4 works out well for you, Mike!
    oz

Linux Engineer
    Once I finally got a machine that could handle KDE, I've been hooked. However, Enlightenment has made some great strides over the years and I've seen some Enlightenment desktops that puts KDE to shame!
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

oz
    forum.guy
    I used to like the earlier versions of Enlightenment but can't ever stick with the latest version for more than a few hours because it's far too shiny/glittery for my own tastes. I can see how those that like lots of eyecandy on the desktop would be highly attracted to it though, because it is highly polished. The developers have taken their time and done a great job with it, for sure!

Edit: to add to what I noted above about KDE 4.10 and Arch users, there are already at least 2 dozen new threads started on the Arch forums relating to problem with this newest release. I've still not played with it other than doing the update, so don't know what all I might run into when I login and begin to play.
    Last edited by oz; 02-14-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    @MikeTbob

Just curious, Mike... how is the latest KDE4 working out on your end?

I've still not gotten back to playing with my own KDE 4.10 box but continue to see lots of new threads popping up in the Arch forums where users are still having issues with it. I don't recall seeing so many new KDE4 threads started there for some time. I'll report back with any encountered issues once I get around to digging into it a bit. Good luck with yours...
    oz

It finished compiling without any errors that I know of but I have not logged out/restarted KDE yet. I had forgotten all about that part. *blush*

Using the wifes new Laptop atm.

Well now.........................that SUCKED!
    I finally got some free time and I sit down at my desk, logged out of KDE4, logged back in.....it must've took 3 or 4 solid minutes before my desktop appeared. It runs fine, looks great....I'm just afraid to log out again. Time to do some searching.

@Oz, was this one of the symptoms being reported on the Arch forums?
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 02-16-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo

oz
    forum.guy
    I believe it was Mike but there were so many issues that I can't remember for sure.

After my 4.10 upgrade the other day, it booted fine with no delay. I noticed some oddities going on with certain configurations, but had several other machines to upgrade, so I moved on and have not been back to KDE. Not sure what to expect with it really...
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast