Find the answer to your Linux question:
Each and every night at around 6pm to 7pm, my internet connection slows to a crawl (almost down to dialup speeds, seriously) and it doesn't speed up again until about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Poor internet service?

Each and every night at around 6pm to 7pm, my internet connection slows to a crawl (almost down to dialup speeds, seriously) and it doesn't speed up again until about 11 pm, or later. The rest of the time it's quite speedy.

I'm fairly certain the problem is caused by heavier than normal internet traffic, but also due to a good many local movie watchers streaming their films from netflix and other such vendors. I've complained to my local ISP too many times to count but nothing ever changes. My guess is that they've oversold the service in relation to what their system can actually handle.

Do any of the rest of you have this same problem each night, or is this normal these days and users simply adapt to it?
    oz

Linux Guru
    Sounds like you have Windstream ISP like I do. I get the same crap. Slow at peak hours and weekends or friday even worse, dropped connections, piss poor server service. All for 70+ bucks a month.

All I got to say is Windstream Sux

oz
    forum.guy
    Don't know if it works this way or not, but I've heard they are supposed to provide at least 80% of the speed that you pay for. If that's true, it would be nice if the meter went the other way any time it drops below the 80% mark, and money would start coming off of the monthly billing. I've got a strong feeling that everyone would be getting what they pay for most of the time if it worked like that.

It's quite irritating when they call wanting to sell me faster speeds, yet they can't even provide the speeds that I'm already paying for.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    This is landline/eth0 right now Oz

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    See what I mean

Attachment 4859

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I think we have a lot more competition in the ISP market over here in the UK so the service tends to be pretty good and unless you are seriously rural, quite speedy. After all there is nothing to stop us spending our money with the competition
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Each and every night at around 6pm to 7pm, my internet connection slows to a crawl (almost down to dialup speeds, seriously) and it doesn't speed up again until about 11 pm, or later. The rest of the time it's quite speedy.

I'm fairly certain the problem is caused by heavier than normal internet traffic, but also due to a good many local movie watchers streaming their films from netflix and other such vendors. I've complained to my local ISP too many times to count but nothing ever changes. My guess is that they've oversold the service in relation to what their system can actually handle.

Do any of the rest of you have this same problem each night, or is this normal these days and users simply adapt to it?
    This is most likely an over subscribed node. The only way your provider will fix it is if everyone in the neighborhood starts complaining.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    This is landline/eth0 right now Oz

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

See what I mean

Attachment 4859
    Yep, that's bad when the connection is so bad you can't even run a speed test...

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I think we have a lot more competition in the ISP market over here in the UK so the service tends to be pretty good and unless you are seriously rural, quite speedy. After all there is nothing to stop us spending our money with the competition
    Yes, there is definitely a competition issue around here. In fact, I have no other choice for providers other than to go with satellite service which would be worse than what I have. I'd switch in the blink of an eye of another DSL or a cable service were to enter the area.

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af View Post
    This is most likely an over subscribed node. The only way your provider will fix it is if everyone in the neighborhood starts complaining.
    Yeah, looks like I'll need to start knocking on some doors around here and get an old fashioned lynching party assembled.
    oz