Find the answer to your Linux question:
What effect will this have on Linux users? ".... all users of Microsoft's Hotmail and other email services operating under different domains such as MSN.com will be automatically converted to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Effect Of Outlook's takover of Hotmail, etc on Linux Users???

What effect will this have on Linux users?

".... all users of Microsoft's Hotmail and other email services operating under different domains such as MSN.com will be automatically converted to Outlook.com by the summer, if they don't voluntarily switch before then."

Read more: Microsoft's Outlook takes aim at Google's Gmail | Fox News

tlcmd (aka Dick)

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcmd View Post
    What effect will this have on Linux users?
    I can't imagine why it should have any effect on them. No hotmail whatsoever for me in more than 12 years now, and I've not missed it a bit. If a Linux user feels obligated to use that service for some reason it seems more like an end user issue, but I guess we all have reasons for what we do. Hope everyone finds whatever they want to use and all goes well with it...
    oz

I don't see that it will affect anyone, really. Other than Hotmail users, that is. And even then it's just a matter of using a different domain. Contacts, saved messages, etc... all of it is being migrated over so nothing will be lost.
    Apple does the same thing with its email service. iCloud.com used to be Me.com, and something else before that.
    So unless MS designs Outlook.com to render only in Internet Explorer, I don't see how it will affect that many people.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I have been using outlook for email since they introduced it, and I have not had a problem in Linux or Windows.

IMO, it is much nicer than gmail, because it is not cluttered and they don't try to shoehorn every single technology they once thought of into it.

I have pretty much stopped using gmail because of outlook, and the skydrive integration is very nice.

You guys may not like Microsoft, but honestly they have made some decent cloud stuff. I even use it in my Linux installs.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    You guys may not like Microsoft, but honestly they have made some decent cloud stuff. I even use it in my Linux installs.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm glad it's all out there for those that want it, or think they need it, but I've stopped using anything Microsoft or Google related to the best of my abilities. Whenever I start feeling forced to use something, or like a company is being overly nosy, my rebellious nature rises up and makes me want to search out alternatives. I'd be the same with Linux if it were to start being shoved down our throats, or if they started trying to follow us all over the internet so they could put a dime in their pocket.
    oz

Magic 8 ball says: Outlook not so good.

MS has developed a number of quality products in the past, and I'm sure that they will continue to do the same in coming years. It's just that I, personally, don't really like some of their business tactics.
    Other than that, I really have nothing against them.

Quote Originally Posted by arespi View Post
    Magic 8 ball says: Outlook not so good.
    <chuckle>
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    MS has developed a number of quality products in the past, and I'm sure that they will continue to do the same in coming years. It's just that I, personally, don't really like some of their business tactics.
    Other than that, I really have nothing against them.

<chuckle>
    I stopped using MS a while back because of that, and started using google. Well, google's products aren't as polished, they aren't as tested, and they tend to "end of life" things soon after birth. Then, google started acting like the old MS (suing, grabbing patents left and right, buying smaller companies and doing nothing with them, etc...). The tipping point of it was when they bought Motorola. The phone I was using was getting an update, and it was barely a year old. They put that to a halt. No ICS for me, I am stuck with the buggy mess that is gingerbread. Gmail is a mess with everything scattered everywhere in the UI, and google drive/docs/cloud whatever they call it now is nice, but there isn't much but android that will sync with it.

Ubuntu is even trying to turn into proprietary junk. Look at the Ubuntu store and Ubuntu one.

I tend to use what makes my life easier, and being a college student, that is my priority. I can use outlook and sync every one of my devices with skydrive and not be without any documents or files. Granted, I live in a MS ecosystem now (WP8, Windows Surface RT, Win 8 on 3 computers) but that is because it works best for me in my life right now. I also have a couple Linux boxes I develop on and run a few servers.

I sound like a MS advocate but I really am not. I am a strong advocate in using what is best for you. While my university uses MS software, I will be using MS software.

But I really do like outlook, lol. IMO it flows much better than gmail.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I am a strong advocate in using what is best for you. While my university uses MS software, I will be using MS software.
    Absolutely right! Whether it' Linux, Apple or MicroSoft, you gotta use the right tools for the job at hand.
    Jay

New Member FAQ