Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
All this talk about policing oneself, is this not really about *doing the right thing*? All my life I've tried to do that, and often been outcast for it. Groupthink ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

All this talk about policing oneself, is this not really about *doing the right thing*? All my life I've tried to do that, and often been outcast for it. Groupthink hates people like me, and I hate it.

Has anyone here ever been fired from a job and been blacklisted from an entire industry that's thick as thieves, for being honest? I have. 35 years of employment history, never fired once. Until 2 years ago. The anger still burns.

Doing the right thing does not seem to make one's bank account thrive, and being honest just pisses people off. Really bad, on occasion. I, for one, can testify to that.

But I'd rather be happy and poor anyway. See? I'm inventing stuff to justify my pain, just like in that article.

On the plus side, the incident did lead me on an arduous and impoverished 2 year path to an ancient and humble trade that is not full of crooks. It's actually inhabited by philosophers, spiritualists, and a lot of seasonal flakes. It does not suck, and I won't get fired for failing to remember someone else's lies. Real, honest work, and it just feels like the right thing to do. Money comes and goes, but love makes it all worthwhile.

Take a moment every day to count your blessings, and thank your loved ones when you get the chance. Life is fleeting.

Miven, i too have been discharged for not screwing and abusing people. You are correct that having ethics just makes the people without any upset. The " Everybody Else Is Doing It " excuse is one of the most common justifications for being evil. Just remember that you are not alone in following the path your inner convictions direct you to follow!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, there's probably no shortage of people ready and willing to persecute you for your honesty and doing the right thing, but that's when they need to read the article and make an attempt to police themselves!
    oz

Oz, the average person hardly ever admits to having any shortcomings!! I had a teacher many, many years ago who told our class
    that the slickest adversary we would ever, or could ever, face was our very own minds that always play tricks on us!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Miven, i too have been discharged for not screwing and abusing people. You are correct that having ethics just makes the people without any upset. The " Everybody Else Is Doing It " excuse is one of the most common justifications for being evil. Just remember that you are not alone in following the path your inner convictions direct you to follow!!
    Thank you, cousinlucky. I guess it feels a bit better knowing some people feel the same and have gone through similar things in their life. I've been told that I have a lot of guts for doing certain things and standing up to opposition in this way. Maybe I do, but I believe I'd rather be dead than know that I didn't even try.

Something I discovered about mob mentality many years ago when I was in a rock band: we'd finish some crazy tune in some seedy bar somewhere, and the audience would just sit there silently, until someone clapped. Just a little, tentative clap, and then all of a sudden the applause would rip through the place like a firestorm. The people were still trying to figure out what to make of what they just witnessed, and all it took was one person to sway their minds.

Sometimes I've been that person and swayed the minds of a large group of people to do the right thing, and sometimes I've been dumped upon rather harshly by a large group of people for being that person.

But in the process I get to see peoples' true colors, and I've been astonished to watch long-time friends turn their back on me the instant I break ranks with the herd. And I've also been astonished to see a person that I thought was a brain-dead sheep approach me afterward, when I'm nursing my wounds, and tell me in secret that they really respect what I just did, and that they just don't have the guts to stand up to a crowd.

It's nice getting older: I think I'm getting wiser because don't have to brawl as much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2