Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
During my life I have met people ( mostly females ) who maintain a very strict code of behavior about what they will and will not do. One of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Are You Able To Police Yourself?

During my life I have met people ( mostly females ) who maintain a very strict code of behavior about what they will and will not do. One of my own strict codes is to never throw trash on the ground; I hold onto it until I reach a garbage can or a proper receptacle for trash. As an old man I do not expect anyone to have the same values as I do. Live and let live!

I do tell young people though that the hardest thing that you can undertake is to " Police Yourself " even when no one is watching!

I bring this up because of this article:
    Personal Responsibility 101: Why Is It So Hard to Own Up to Our Mistakes? | The Art of Manliness
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Interesting article, cousinlucky... there's always room for a bit more good old fashioned self-discipline and doing the right thing in our lives.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I try to police myself at all times in both my behaviour and attitude. I'm sure that like most people I don't have a 100% success rate though.

Interesting article and the PS had more than a grain of truth
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Believe it or not some people actually get mad at me for not yielding to their temptations!!
    My favorite comeback is " It's Against My Religion " which usually gets most people to just
    drop the subject. Some female police officers that I know are just floored by how easy
    it is for criminals to corrupt their male counterparts with money, favors, or sex!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

How many people here have seen the film Rashomon? It tells a simple story: a samurai is travelling with his wife and they meet a bandit. Somehow the samurai ends up dead and the bandit is charged with his murder. All three parties give evidence (the dead samurai through a medium, which apparently counted as legal in medieval Japan). The three stories are totally different but they have this in common: each glorifies the teller at the expense of the other two. Finally you see what really happened and it is again quite different and shows nobody in a very good light.

Actually I am much more bothered by the glib facility with which people nowadays say sorry without really meaning it, thereby getting themselves off the hook and turning the moral tables on their victims. It's become the universal get-out-of-jail-free card.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

How many people here have seen the film Rashomon
    Me, me, me plus many others. I love those old Akira Kurasawa Films.

Anytime the word police and me is brought into the same sentence. Some legalities are involved.

If you ever watched "No Country for Old Men". Well, that pretty much describes my neck of the woods.
    NYC is not even close and I have been there also. I asked a gas station attendant there to give me some change that was tied up and gagged behind the counter. I could be pretty naive back then. When I pulled his gag off.
    He told me, "No, I have just been robbed!"

City folks and country folks can be totally different in their manners and honesty. At least this has been my experience in life.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I like the lead sentence, "Self-justifications distort reality, but they typically do not supplant it." For me, alcohol leads to self-justifications which definitely distort reality and surely does not supplant it!
    Didn't truly start policing myself until I stopped the booze. Couln't!
    My pet peeve I see widespread in people nowadays is projection.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    My pet peeve is what I call "The Weasel Apology" for example "I'm sorry you feel that way"

These days I refuse to accept them and call them out for what they are. Try it as it is extremely therapeutic!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Newbie
    I guess how we see things comes from our upbringing and life experiences. I think I prefer the perspective of striving to live up to my ideals (code of ethics? values?), even when, in doing so, it sometimes makes me feel foolish... to the idea of policing (parenting?) my own behavior. Might be just semantics.

I think most of us know the right thing to do or say in most instances. Some choose to do it. Some choose to do something else and often have an amazing repertoire of 'reasons' why they can't, don't or won't. Interesting article. Wonder why the need to be mistake-free (and right) is ridiculously high on the list of cultural (human?) priorities.

My two week Georgia vacation turned into a six month stay because I encountered so many " for real people " who were not trying to pass off a phony facade of a lie on who they really were!! I find it easier to just admit my ignorance about things that I do not know about and accept the ridicule without thinking any less of myself!! At my age being honest is very liberating; both for me and the people that I deal with!!
    Linux user # 414321

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast