Find the answer to your Linux question:
Many of you know one or more programming languages, but now that you are where you are in the world of programming, what languages (when looking back) do you "wish" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Hindsight Regarding Programming Languages

Many of you know one or more programming languages, but now that you are where you are in the world of programming, what languages (when looking back) do you "wish" you had learned instead of, or in addition to, those that you already know?

Do you still plan to learn those additional programming languages, or have you decided that it's too late for such endeavors?
    oz

At the moment I am in college to get my BS in Computer Science. My university teaches C++, and I think that is possibly the best starting point.

C++ is based on C, but it adds objects and a few other things, it is close enough in syntax to just pick up other languages with little effort, and it is completely cross platform.

So, I am extremely happy where I started and I plan to pick up a few more languages asap.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Engineer
    It physically pains me to say this: Java.

Reason being Android.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Java isn't much different than c++ syntax wise, and is easy to pick up as a second language after c++.

Now, if you didn't start with c++, disregard that statement lol.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Engineer
    Syntax isn't the problem. I can and have written plenty of java code. Just that I don't have all the classes and objects memorized, etc.

Linux Engineer
    I'm one of those old farts. You know, we're the ones who took FORTRAN, COBOL, etc. in college. Thankfully, I never stuck with it and am NOT a programmer.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

I got started with programming around when I was 14 or 15 with QBASIC if I recall correctly the name of the IDE. I didn't have any previous understanding about any programming, rather poor understanding of english, no internet connection at my disposal and went on pretty much just with the documentation that came with the IDE... Do I need to say that I didn't get too far with my experimenting that time, was able to write some simple animations, but got tired after a half a year or so.

When I got to high-school I took some cources on C and after high-school I started studying embedded systems in a University. This brought me quite a lot of more cources on C and assembly. There were also some cources on C++ and java and I studied Qt on my own. While studying I got a part time job as Symbian programmer, which gave me a lot more experience with C++.

Since graduation I have been working mostly on Symbian. Many saying that Symbian is just horrible, but I never found it to be that difficult to work with in general... although it did from time to time throw some rather interesting problems at me (that made me want to cry and smack my head on the keyboard). With Symbian dying I had to move on and in my work I have been developing for iOS (Objective-C), android (Java) and Windows Phone + WinRT (C#, C++) since.

No regrets looking back to all this and definately going to pick up more as oportunities for it come along. Mostly because I find it fun, but also because from what I have heard, my bosses like being able to throw me around from project to project, team to team and platform to platform depending on where more programmers are needed.