Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok I give up! I'm going to have to buy a digital camera and a portable digital voice recorder and drag myself out of the past and into the present!! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Digital Stuff Compatible With Linux Computers??

Ok I give up! I'm going to have to buy a digital camera and a portable digital voice recorder and drag myself out of the past and into the present!! Therefore I'm asking LF members what are the most compatible cameras and recorders to use with Linux operating systems?? Thanks!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I haven't found one that doesn't work with Linux. Mostly USB cameras will just act like another USB drive when plugged into your machine. You should be able to move/copy/delete anything with your file manager or Editing software. You probably just won't be able to run the "Software" that comes on the install disc. I have had nothing but good luck with Samsung and Sony Cameras and Flip video recorders.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

If it has a removable card. Get a mulitiple all in one card reader to usb and they are all Linux compatible (stay away from sony, be very afeared of sony drm)

You can pull out the card. Plug the card into the card reader. It will mount in /media in AntiX. Use antix control center if needing to mount manually under disks in l/h side.

Cheapo card reader I bought for even reading xd card on a cheapo old free camera from china.

Link

The card reader above is plug and play in usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 in Linux.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have to second Mike on this one. I haven't found any non-printer usb pluggable devices that have any serious issues with with *nix. My sony e-reader works just fine with calibre The doze only client for my GPS has to run in a doze VM, but *nix will read / write to the drive on it. I've got a usb harddrive that has a virtual CD in it that mounts and installs drivers to doze. The virtual CD will not mount in *nix, but *nix does not need some silly driver; it just works.

My wife has 1/2 a dozen cameras old and new (she never throws anything away). They all work perfectly with shotwell from the ubuntu 12.04 repos.

Agreed. I haven't heard of any issues with camera usage with Linux.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I haven't found one that doesn't work with Linux.
    Same here! I've tried 5 or 6 different cameras (different brands) and every one of them worked fine with Linux. I suppose there's always the chance an oddball camera that won't work with Linux might be out there. Cousin, surely with a username like cousinlucky you won't end up with one that doesn't work with Linux.
    oz

Oz, In high school I was called Mr. Lucky because I was seldom caught at boyhood pranks!
    Computers however have always been rough for me. When I moved to New York City I went
    to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to obtain a drivers license. As soon as I got to the window their
    entire computer system went down. They did not know what happened or what to do and I
    told them it was probably my fault because of my bad computer karma; because it had happened
    before.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry to hear about the bad karma between you and computers. It's unfortunate that more products don't have "Linux supported" notifications on their packaging, but with very few components having that, you pretty much have to take your chances that it will work, or start inquiring about it online like you did. Any bad karma might have the last word on what works and what doesn't, though.

Hope you find something that works well with your machine.
    oz

I've been advised that using a card reader (?) should resolve any digital camera problems that I might encounter with my old computer!
    Linux user # 414321

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I've been advised that using a card reader (?) should resolve any digital camera problems that I might encounter with my old computer!
    If said old computer will support that card reader, probably.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast