Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I spoke too soon. The concept is sound. But the main proxy server from Abine is not reliable and after several hours of searching I could only find 4 alternates ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I spoke too soon. The concept is sound. But the main proxy server from Abine is not reliable and after several hours of searching I could only find 4 alternates in the world; which are also unreliable.

However, the proxy software is opensource and Abine encourages people to set them up.

I'm really impressed by the concept though. I wonder what it would cost to rent enough bandwidth and metal over at Amazon to set up a reliable proxy and if I could get enough donations to cover operating costs after initial out of pocket expences?

To all you enterprise network guys out there: Where would I look to dig up some usage estimates that would put me in a realistic starting money ballpark? I've never even thought about throughput from this angle before.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I'm old and use a cane so when store security is stalking me in a store I ask the manager to call the police because I think the guy might be trying to rob me!
    I regularly wear a duster coat, so I find myself being followed in stores. My amusement sometimes comes from mentally tagging my security tail, losing them... and coming up behind them!
    But then... I have a strange sense of humor.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux User
    .. and I thought I was the paranoid one around here.

My internet security strategy is using a browser that's so old it crashes any time some site tries to pull funny tricks.

I gave up on being untrackable when NICs started coming with MAC addresses. When was that? Some time in the 90s?

I'm still amazed how little most people know about how trackable they actually are when they're on the net.

There was a bunch of fuss a while ago about the cops getting into peoples' email accounts, and people thought that they were going too far by doing this. This attitude of the general public boggled my mind.

Email was never designed to be private. Sending an email is like yelling across a crowded room. Anyone who wants to listen can. Same for the internet. It was never designed with privacy in mind. Both of these are mediums for communication, not secrecy.

If I don't want something snooped, I send it as a password protected multi-part RAR archive. At least that makes it nearly impossible.

I do agree, however, that the level of tracking has increased dramatically over the last few years, to the point where it is very annoying. But then, I find then internet in general is becoming more intrusive and annoying. Everyone wants to make passive income, but the internet was never designed with money in mind either. I'm watching as the greatest library in the history of humankind is rapidly being turned into a garbage dump.

BTW, I'll check out that startpage site. Looks interesting.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Everyone wants to make passive income, but the internet was never designed with money in mind either. I'm watching as the greatest library in the history of humankind is rapidly being turned into a garbage dump.
    I've been feeling like the internet has become nothing more than a billboard for about 10 years or more now. So many websites are no longer even worthy pulling up in a web browser. If adblock were to be outlawed, I'd quit web browsing altogether... seriously!
    oz

Well, I've found some new interesting stuff I'm looking in to now with greasemonkey and scriptify.

I'm still in the preliminary stages, but I think I can set my browser up to acheive basically the same thing the google proxy was supposed to do.

More than one way to skin a cat and all that.

I'll report back if I cook up something good.

Just Joined!
    Whether you're paranoid or not, I would hope that everyone agrees that being tracked and snooped and profiled unknowingly is not okay. I would like to think that distros will move to adapt and block this shady activity by default. Unfortunately, I think it's clear from many of the comments about Ubuntu's spyware issue that people have become accustomed to having their privacy violated. Not only are many not protesting, but some of them are even excusing the inappropriate behavior.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by kasu View Post
    Whether you're paranoid or not, I would hope that everyone agrees that being tracked and snooped and profiled unknowingly is not okay.
    "unknowingly" is the keyword here. Why do people *not* know that everything they do on the internet can be tracked, whether they want it or not?

Why do people assume that they have any sort of privacy at all when they're yelling across the world on communal communication lines?

What really irks me is the heating up of my old computer when i visit news sites that are based overseas.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux User
    My gnome-dictionary gets funny when it tries to translate Klingon, Martian, Borg or Worf. Does anyone know where I can gets those codecs? Google leads me nowhere.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    What really irks me is the heating up of my old computer when i visit news sites that are based overseas.
    Can't say that I blame you, cousin! When I go to websites where anything strange starts happening according to my system monitors, such as abnormal usage of cpu, mem, temps, or net activity, I usually back out, or kill the browser altogether if need be. When on websites, I'm generally there for information. If I want to be impressed with awesome eyecandy or fancy graphics, I can pull out the old kaleidoscope, or watch a good 3D movie for that...
    oz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast