Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Oz, at some sites the Ghostery add-on to my Seamonkey browser has to work overtime blocking 15-20 trackers. England must be a dangerous country with plenty of monsters at the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Oz, at some sites the Ghostery add-on to my Seamonkey browser has to work overtime blocking 15-20 trackers.
    England must be a dangerous country with plenty of monsters at the Guardian website!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Oz, at some sites the Ghostery add-on to my Seamonkey browser has to work overtime blocking 15-20 trackers.
    England must be a dangerous country with plenty of monsters at the Guardian website!!
    That's like walking through the forest and finding out there are 15 to 20 hound dogs on your trail, but in this case the dogs are said to be there for your benefit and are meant to help provide you with the additional services that you need so that you will have a better overall web experience.

Don't you just love modern marketing strategies and tactics?
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Why do people assume that they have any sort of privacy at all when they're yelling across the world on communal communication lines?
    Because it's not that hard to achieve. With minimal overhead SSL and HTTPS could be enacted everywhere. Hardware capacity is retarded now-a-days. I can rent the equivalent of a 10 year old "super computer" over at amazon for $75 US a day now. And with no more than a copy of backtrack and a script-kiddie skill level I can crack stuff all over the place as it is setup now.

You want me to trust my on line banking to you? Then get rid of the frigging crippled SSL cert that just about any jerkwad could backwards factor now.

And "they" need to quit blowing smoke up everybody's butt about how an old tower at home would blow a capacitor if everything ran 128 bit crypto. That is such a load of crap. You could push it to 256 with no problem for most old systems still in use.

It's the AV gee-gaw and 75 hidden tracking processes that overload old towers. Crypto can be pushed off to the chipset with next to no overhead. It's just number crunching. That's what these things were built to do.

Now was the system originally designed with privacy in mind? Heck no!!!!

But, nethier was the original phone system. At first everybody was on a party line. But, once they had enough adpoters they redesigned the relays so that everybody had a fairly private line and strengthened the privacy laws so that you had to have a warrant to easedrop on somebody legally.

~25% of the worlds population has adopted. They've got enough folks in the system using it for enough functions that privacy is now a legitimate concern.

But, the world has changed. You'll never get a level of privacy comparable to the landline phone system ever again.

It's all about control.

They want to "know" what you're going to do even before you do.

They're friggin scared to death.

Why do you think the men in black (laugh if you want) are building a black box out in the Utah desert that will be able to siphon, cypher, cross-reference and indefinitely store every single electronic communication generated on this planet for decades to come?

I have a crystal ball.

You guys have no idea what's coming.

It won't be long before the cyber-punk novels look like kindergarten fantasies.

There are "pre-crime" units in several major cities RIGHT NOW whose job it is to bust you BEFORE you commit a crime. Mephis TN has one of the most developed.

Have you guys not noticed the big increase in the cops getting "bad information" that leads them to kicking in the wrong door in the last 18 months or so?

Well boys and girls, the same geniuses who are currently writing the pre-crime algos are the same guys who wrote the algos in the 80's that proved it was impossible for a man to hit a fastball and who wrote the algos in the 90's proving that a bumble bee could not fly!

NatGeo just ran thing on the semi-autonomous swarms of networked microdrones that will be able to track down and kill a single individual that the AF is working their collective butts off to build and field.

They're also working their fingers to the bone night and day trying to make the current "big" drones smart enough to figure out who needs killing without needing a human to babysit them every step of the way.

Before you flame broil me spend a little time on google!

We're about to open this whole thing up boys and girls.

In the very, very near furture there will be production machines the size of a credit card with next to no heat or voltage overhead that run 90 petaflops.

You can already order the frigging SDK if you sign up for their kickstart.

It won't be long before it will be cheap and easy to jack that thing straight in to my brain without a single hole in my skull through an EM interface.

What happens when it also becomes cheap and easy for me to 3D print an exoskeleton for this micro-supercomputer to run? And DL an open-source OS to run the exoskeleton as the micro-supercomputer also aguments not only my muscles but my memory capacity and thinking processes as well.

Do you really think the power elite want schlubs like us ever getting our hands on that kind of tech with our free will in tact?

So, they have to start winning the hearts and minds now in order to groom the next generation of dumbed down soldiers who will not realize what it is they've been given.

Dumb everybody down and distract them; just look at schools, the news, TV and the net.

Hide the guts of the thinking machines behind an interface that requires so little thought a two year old could use it.

Stiffle individual thought and crush those who question authority.

Teach the populace that in order to exercise their freedom of movement they must subject themselves to being sexually molested by un-sworn security guards.

Drop all bounds of privacy or decency and post your every thought and every moment for all to see or you're a terrorist!

CONFORM!

I used to raise iguanas.

They're mean and when they get big they're dangerous. A five foot iguana can break a good sized man's forearm just above the wrist with his tail with no problem at all.

And they love to smack stuff with their tail. So, right after they hatch you have to handle them a lot, so they will smack you a lot, so you can thump them in the head a lot.

This goes on for months. Until the finally learn that a smack with the tail equates to a thump between the eyes.

So, before they get big enough to break your arm you have built a prison for their minds where they are too afraid to follow their natural instincts and break your arm.

With current technology it costs ~$1.72 US per person per year to track everybody in a densely populated 10 square block metropolitan area in 5 minute increments with 30 day storage.

Impractical and cost prohibitive.

By the year 2020 that is predicted to drop to 0.0001 of one cent US per person per year for continuous surveillance and indefinite storage.

Free your mind and your @$$ will follow!
    Last edited by Steven_G; 03-12-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    rokytnji likes this.

Funny enough I read this,More Privacy Perils: Facebook Data Is Greater Than The Sum Of Your Likes, about an hour after I wrote that.

Linux User
    Dude, I already know that sh*te. People don't want to know. They can't handle the truth, if you will. I recently tried telling my friend why Adobe Reader (Vista) wanted her to log in, and it scared the sh*t out of her. She does her banking and sh*t on that box. She trusts that stupid Micro$lobber box with her money!

Why do people do this? I always tell them not to, but they do it anyway. Laziness? My best guess.

I'm at a loss.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Why do people do this? I always tell them not to, but they do it anyway. Laziness? My best guess.

I'm at a loss.
    Based on my own observations, most people have herding instincts like sheep and they simply want to follow the herd, or better yet be right in the middle of it. Such behavior provides an excellent opportunity for savvy marketing professionals.
    oz

And criminals and authoritarian regimes and slippery slopes.

For those of you still asleep:

You did know that facebook got a multi-billion dollar tax break while most people were having a hard time putting food on the table; didn't you?

You did know that Eric Schmidt was seriously being considered for Treasury Secretary; didn't you?

And you do realize that the feds, facebook, twitter and google are all in bed with each other; don't you?

Facebook scanning chats

Feds monitor social

Now FB can track your face and tag your photos so they're easier for the feds to find.

Google and the NSA play footsie. But you knew that!

And, if you're not on facebook then you're a psychopath!

oz
    forum.guy

emails: text format only for me

While on the subject of tracking and privacy, all my emails are sent and received in text format only for privacy reasons. Occasionally, I'll opt to see any included images, but it happens rarely.

How about the rest of you... do you send and receive html formatted email messages, or do you prefer the text only format?
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Text only all the way
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast