Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well I'm glad it's not just me! I was beginning to think I was hallucinating. Most of you have used variants of xterm; I think rxvt uses the same Athena ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well I'm glad it's not just me! I was beginning to think I was hallucinating.

Most of you have used variants of xterm; I think rxvt uses the same Athena widgets as xterm. But Mate terminal sounds like a variant of Gnome terminal and that uses gtk. I would have expected a GtkTextview widget to resize itself properly. Anyone want to try with Gnome terminal or Konsole?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Anyone want to try with Gnome terminal or Konsole?
    Hello, hazel

While updating my KDE4 box, I checked this for you with Konsole and the results are that all the files get moved as they should on a window resize, and Konsole draws a vertical scrollbar so that you can see the remaining files. No files were left off the screen and inaccessible.
    oz

I wonder if this should be reported as a bug. And to whom?
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I wonder if this should be reported as a bug. And to whom?
    For xterm, it looks like there are "known bugs" and "report bugs" links at the following page:

XTerm: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    For xterm, it looks like there are "known bugs" and "report bugs" links at the following page:

XTerm: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    It's not a known bug. For all I know it may not be a bug at all; perhaps the program is meant to behave that way (It's not a bug, it's a feature!). But it's irritating, especially when you use a tiling wm and have no direct control over changes in window size. Anyway, there was an email address for bugs (someone called Dickey) so I mailed him.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Yep, it's a feature! Here's what the Dickey-bird said:

"Someone had a patch to do for xterm more or less what you're asking about, but someone else pointed out a problem with it. To make the change work properly would involve changing all the logic that updates the screen."

In other words, that's how the program works, folks! And as it's only a minor glitch, there's really no point qvetching about it any more.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Sometimes, I do run across "features" in applications that feel more like annoyances or irritants on my end, but if the developers consider them to be features I guess that's what they are, even if they don't work as one would expect.

Thanks for the update, hazel.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    An unexpected feature is still a feature!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    An unexpected feature is still a feature!
    Yeah, it's got to tough as a developer trying to please as many end users as possible and still meet your own objectives with your projects. Features can be annoyances for some, missing features (in the end user's mind) can be considered limitations, and no matter what you do, there will be someone thinking it should have been done another way.

One thing I like to have is the ability to disable undesired features, and that's often lacking with some features in various apps. Of course, the more configuration options an app has, the more likely end users could become confused or mis-configure that app and then want to call it a bug. I don't envy those developers that distribute their work for the benefit of everyone, yet try so hard to get it just right.

Note that these comments are not intended as a reference to hazel's observation with xterm, but for devs and their projects in general.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2