Find the answer to your Linux question:
Earlier today, I was thinking about all the Pecos cantaloupes that I've eaten over the years and how none of the others I've tasted ever quite matched them. The thought ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Pecos Cantaloupes: a real treat indeed

Earlier today, I was thinking about all the Pecos cantaloupes that I've eaten over the years and how none of the others I've tasted ever quite matched them. The thought process then peaked my curiosity as to why I've not seen any Pecos cantaloupes for quite some time now, so with a bit of online searching the answer came from here:

Texas Stories: The Truth About Pecos Cantaloupes

Surely at least a few other forum members have at one time or another sampled the sweetness of these melons from West Texas? If you haven't, you don't know what you've missed out on.

Hopefully, they'll become abundant again at some point in the future.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    And then there are Colorado Rock Ford cantaloupes!

Rocky Ford... Danged keyboard!
    Last edited by Rubberman; 03-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I'd post a picture of the cantaloupe pick up truck venders on the side of cedar st. and main st in Pecos TX. Here is online pics.

Attachment 4903

http://www.texascooppower.com/conten...adujano_ss.jpg

Open food mart in Marfa Texas (No country for old Men) http://loavesloveslaughs.files.wordp...-marfa-021.jpg

When things get in season. We do all right here. I'll take some pics then and come back here.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    And then there are Colorado Rock Ford cantaloupes!
    Yeah, according to the linked article, the first Pecos cantaloupes were originally grown from the seeds of Rocky Ford cantaloupes.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the photos, roky!

I'd say you are probably in pretty good shape to obtain Pecos cantaloupes living where you do. Have you ever tried growing them on your own place, and if so how did they do?
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Thanks for the photos, roky!

I'd say you are probably in pretty good shape to obtain Pecos cantaloupes living where you do. Have you ever tried growing them on your own place, and if so how did they do?
    My ranch was originally was a cantaloupe farm. They used the irrigation water supplied by the Rio-Grande river to water the plants.
    What your article did not cover is all of the small cantaloupe gardens in folks lots around town. They sell em out of the backs of their pickup
    trucks to tourists and residents driving through for a buck a piece.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Here in town you reach well water in 15 feet below ground. Lot's of homemade water wells in yards here to water the grass and gardens and trees.

Lot's of side of the road kitchen and vendors here like in Mexico.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Back when our local grocery stores had Pecos cantaloupes, you could smell them as soon as you walked through the front doors, but with the cantaloupes they get in now, you can't smell them even when you hold them right under your nose.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    My ranch was originally was a cantaloupe farm. They used the irrigation water supplied by the Rio-Grande river to water the plants.
    What your article did not cover is all of the small cantaloupe gardens in folks lots around town. They sell em out of the backs of their pickup
    trucks to tourists and residents driving through for a buck a piece.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Here in town you reach well water in 15 feet below ground. Lot's of homemade water wells in yards here to water the grass and gardens and trees.

Lot's of side of the road kitchen and vendors here like in Mexico.
    Unfortunately, that water source may be from the Ogalala aquifer, which is being rapidly depleted... In many parts of the mid-west, it is quite a way underground. Lincoln, Nebraska where I grew up, got its municipal water from the aquifer, but they were wells 100's of feet deep since there the water is under a layer of rock (limestone I think, but not sure). It was cold, pure, and naturally fluoridated, which is probably the reason I have never had a cavity!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Naw. We are part of the Rustler Aquifer rubberman in Pecos. My ranch is 200 miles west and 15 feet to water comes from being in the Rio-Grande valley in between Mountains. The view there is killer compared to where I live now.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    We are part of the Rustler Aquifer rubberman in Pecos. My ranch is 200 miles west and 15 feet to water comes from being in the Rio-Grande valley in between Mountains. The view there is killer compared to where I live now.
    It always seemed strange to me that such a dry place could produce all those juicy, good tasting melons, but the world works in a funny way sometimes!
    oz